Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a 1981 yamaha xs elven standard :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a 1981 yamaha xs elven standard :)

Just got my bike and I love it. Now i'm not a mechanic and i'm kind of broke after buying it but i've heard that the nice folks here at xs11.com are very helpful. I don't currently have a manual, I have to wait until I get paid again to buy one. What i'm wondering is if you kind people should inform me on what I should check and how to make sure my bike isn't going to break down on me on the road. Thanks a bunch ahead of time
    1981 yamaha xs eleven standard

Go to the Misc. tips on the main forum page. There is a post there on what to look for on a neglected XS1100. Even if your bike seems good, it is best to go over things. What is listed there are problem areas. Better to be safe. Welcome to the excitement of the XS1100.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

You can have the manuals for nothing. Look up member CatatonicBug. He keeps them online, just for you!
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Welcome to the site and to the XS Eleven family. As mentioned, you can download a free manual. Just look under member Catatonicbug and you will see his web address where it can be found. Also, for ease of future inquiries put you model and mods etc. of bike in a signature so we can tell how to advise you. GL and post us pictures!
        Last edited by WMarshy; 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Great! That helped a lot. I now have a manual and I know how to quirk on my bike. Thanks a bunch. Luckily the previous owner did most of the things I should check on. I just need to do an oil change and it should be great. Runs like a beast already. Roils I be able to get an oil filter from like a kragen or do I have to order it online?

Comment

Roils I be able to get an oil filter from like a kragen or do I have to order it online?
            I don't know about Kragen, but it's a common filter. They can get it if they can look it up. You might have more success at NAPA or CARQUEST. Either way, they're unlikely to keep it in stock and they'll order it for you. It could be quicker than online sources.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Napa part# PS4933

http://www.napafilters.com/filterloo...sp?Part=PS4933
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Here it is

Comment

Nice looking Venturer!! That is the 81 Standard XS1100, it came with the full touring package and a larger tank than even the previous Standards for a longer range.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Ah thats great. I was hoping that it was a bigger tank for my longer journeys. Yup she is gorgeous

Comment

That is one nice looking bike. If you run into any issues working on it or need any help, give a hollar, I'm not really all that far away, just the far side of town here in North Sac. The local Napa auto parts stores carry the filter, and I just happen the have an extra I won't be using since I installed TC spin on oil filter adapter, which I highly recommend. Lets you use the GW 1500 oil filter which is really easy to find and with so many of those on the road will be around for a long time.

You might notice, except for the tank, mine is kind of a dealer Venturer. Came from the dealer with Vetter fairing and bags. Plus now it's actually got an 81 standard engine in it since the original engine developed a rod knock after 168,000 miles.
                      Last edited by cywelchjr; 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrtinajero View Post
                        Great! That helped a lot. I now have a manual and I know how to quirk on my bike. Thanks a bunch. Luckily the previous owner did most of the things I should check on. I just need to do an oil change and it should be great. Runs like a beast already. Roils I be able to get an oil filter from like a kragen or do I have to order it online?
                        Hi Michael and welcome,
                        you know the engine turns backwards, eh?
                        When you drop the filter bucket note the position of the spring & washer that hold the filter up and don't throw the washer away, it can stick to the filter and some have not noticed it until too late.
                        And only a cupful of oil comes out of the filter, to drain the rest there's a drain plug facing forward that you can see and access better when the filter bucket is off.
                        I worry about the age of good looking tires on used bikes. Old tires get hard like wood even if they look perfect so check the little oval patch on the sidewall for a 4-digit number. The first two are the week and the last two are the year so that 2605 is mid-June 2005 and is just about as old as I'd be happy riding on. Any tire with a 3-digit number was made last century.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well the gentlemen I actually night the bike from just bought a new front tire which is why it looks so great. He didn't feel right about selling it with a crap tire. He also went through the carbs and synced them. So less work for me

Comment

An ELVEN Standard ???

Just bought a 1981 yamaha xs elven standard
                            Where did you get one of those from ??? Didn't know Bilbo Baggins, or Gibli road a bike. Did you have to go to Middle Earth to get it ?

Is it full size or a scaled down version of an Eleven ?

Seriously though, nice looking bike, and you've come to the right place for good advice and support.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                            X