What....WTF Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What....WTF Wiring

So, I go out to fit the plug onto the bike's wiring harness to fit the fairing...and I discover this. Nothing here seems to match the wiring diagram in the Clymer.

I...I don't even know where to begin at this point.
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

1. Clymer is crap, Get the FSM from Bug.

2. By the looks of the tape and joiners, someone has already had a go at the wiring. The harness plugs on the main loom will be your main point of reference once you have a decent wiring diagram. They look 'normal' and you should be able to identify colours okay.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

You should be able to look at the wires that are part of the main wiring harness and see the colors there. Then you can see what it SHOULD go to, and then figure out what color wire you have for that.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

What fairing do you have? The Vetter has a 9 pin plug, and the Pacifico has a 12 pin plug. Vetter diagrams are available, and I think I may have the Pacifico at home.
        If it was my fairing, I would go to radio shack and buy the new connector, and then pick up some 18 AWG and 16 AWG MARINE GRADE wire to rebuild the plugs.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This might help as well..

http://robertveale.com/42/universe/M...ngDiagram.aspx
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I have the Pacifico Fairing with the 12 pin plug. I finally have the right hand turn signals working, and the left front will come on, but there is an issue somewhere with the left rear signal. Its not the bulb, and I haven't found the issue yet. Maybe tomorrow I can track it down.

Also, no luck on getting any power to the headlight yet. It seems like that three wire bundle is just dead. Haven't traced it back far enough to figure out where it comes out. Sadly, the only wiring diagrams I seem to be able to find are all for standards, and I have the special. Except the one in the back of the Clymer, but that hasn't really helped me too much.

Any other ideas?
            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Look at the ground wire for the rear turn signal. You will also have to install a second ground wire in the fairing to keep everything happy.
              If you have a VOM, check for the high beam FIRST, as it should be easier to find. Remember, the ground for the headlight MUST BE A GOOD GROUND, usually less than 2 Ohms resistance from it to the negative terminal measured at the battery. The brown wire the headlight is plugged into is for tail and running lights, NOT the headlight! IIRC, the three wire connector is for the headlight.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

Headlight power will not come on unless the engine is started or at least cranked to activate the latched relay unless it has been bypassed.
                79SF
                XJ11
                78E

Comment

And I discovered that yesterday before I went in to work. I feel like a complete moron for not realizing that sooner. The old headlight was wired in with some random hot wire, so it came on as soon as the key came on. I didn't realize there was a delay until I went to crank it and the headlight came on. I'm an idiot.

Turn signal issues still abound. Here is my latest question. Should all the turn signals light up when the key is turned, and flash when engaged? My front left signal comes on with the key, and gets brighter if I use the signal (doesn't flash, since my left rear signal is still inop.)

Thanks for all the help so far folks!
                  Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

If it's a standard the front turn signals are running lights and will work light the front signals on most autos, running lights when not flashing and then flash brighter when you turn on the turn signal. This is normal, assuming that it's a standard and not a special, which I can't quite tell from your sig.

You can try putting a two prong electronic auto flasher in place of the side flasher unit, which will flash even without the rears working, at least for troubleshooting (auto cancel will not work of course) but at least you can see if all the rest is working that wasy. If it doesn't work one way, just plug it in the other, it should work that way unless something is really messed up in then wiring.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Pacifico fairings are ONLY built for the Standard models. The front lights should be on all the time, and go MUCH brighter when the turn signal is on. If there isn't much difference, then the wires are probably reversed between running lights and turn signals.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                      X