Yet more confusion - Front MC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet more confusion - Front MC

Below is the MC rebuild kit that I got from Georgefix. Above are the original items from the MC in the order they were taken out.

Pic1

Neither matches the diagram from the Yamaha manual.

Pic2

So how is this thing really supposed to go back together?

Thanks, yet again
    Bob
    1979 XS1100F

The order you have for the new kit is correct. As far as what you removed, the wire retaining clip (A) seems to be hit-or-miss, as I've only run into that one once on the M/Cs I've disassembled; they seem to be prone to rust, as the one I found disintegrated upon removal (I did find rust residue on some which may have been what was left...). The plastic ring (C) isn't needed either (again, haven't always found that), so that's why they're missing from the rebuild kit.

The manual drawing is slightly inaccurate and poorly drawn... the first ? is supposed to be the c-clip, the seal is assembled on the piston already, and the other ? is the check valve that's part of the piston.

Truthfully, looking at what you took out, I'd clean that up and reinstall it. If the bore is tight, give it a light hone. Tape/wrap some 1000 grit sandpaper to a pencil and spin it with a drill, that's usually all it takes.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I'll re-assemble tomorrow as per the new kit layout.

Bob
      1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
      X