Gas in oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas in oil?

Just drained the oil on the XJ, there is gas in it.

I tried a search for "gas in oil" it kicks the "in" out of the search and just uses "gas oil." Which, of course, brings up way too many threads that don't have anything to do with the problem.

This is due to bad floats in the carbs right?
    Last edited by Smash; 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM.
    Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
    Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Bad floats or leaky needle valves. Try cleaning the needles and seats real well and see if that solves the problem. I have not worked on XJ carbs. Do they have screw in needle valve seats? If so, checked to make sure the seats are securely screwed in and that the gasket or washer under the seat is in good condition.

You can also checks for leaks in the floats, but that is not usually the problem.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

most likely its the floats in the carbs. You might want to rebuild them, or clean. But dont run the bike if its doing this, Its bad on some bearings and will cause a bigger headache
      '78E

Comment

The first assumption here is that you have True XJ carbs and a Po di not swpa them for XS carbs. XJ carbs are almost identicle to the 80-81 carbs (yes I know with the exception of the very early 80s that had the crossover, I consider those bastardized and not TRUE 80 carbs, ). The floats are plastic and highly unlikely to leak and cause problems. The needle seats push in IIRC. Here is most likely your problem area. Teh o-ring that seals these push-in style can go bad and leak. You can get replacement o-rings at any Harbor Freight, they sell Nitrile O-ring kits for $3-4 or so. 100 o-rings, lots of sizes, it will have ones to fit your need.

Other thing is the viton tips may be worn and leaking on the float needle valves.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Great thanks guys, I wanted to confirm it was a carb problem.

We had the carbs rebuilt by a friend of mine that REALLY knows carbs well. But, we haven't changed the oil OR run the bike since we had it done.

I know very little about carbs, which is why he volunteered to rebuild them. I will try to get a hold of him and discuss this issue with him as well.

I do hope now the problem is solved.

Comment

IF you have had the carbs rebuilt since you changed oil, then I would do two things.

First, mount the carbs, and turn on the gas to them, use PRIME on your petcocks. Watch to see if fuel comes out the back of the carbs, or the air box if your using one.

No gas after two to three minutes, move on to step two. Gas flows out the carbs, take them back to friend and ask if he put new needle valves, seats, and o-rings in them. If not, then do so!

Step two, change the oil now, after you have the carbs sorted out. Gas in the oil dilutes the oil, this is the danger part. IT is nto going to hurt anythign for you to not change the oil immediately, and will keep you from changing it multiple times until the carbs are sorted out. But, DO NOT run the engine with the gas in the oil!! That is where you cause bearing damage.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Excellent thank you.

Have left a message for my friend to see if he changes the items you listed. Also will check the carbs as you outlined.

THANKS. Quite the learning process!

Comment

Working...
              X