My newbie project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My newbie project

I figured that I now have gotten enough progress on my project to post some pictures.

The idea for the project is certainly not stock (please don't tar and feather me) but I hope to do a respectable enough job to not make it entirely insulting . I actually have modeled the idea after Da-Bubble's project he did a few years ago. Here is a link to that thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...tom+xs11+build
    This is my first motorcycle period and also my first project of any kind so bear with me.

This is what I started with. It was actually disassembled slightly at that point, I do have carbs, air box, side covers, and the rear fender/tail light assembly... pretty much the complete bike.

Here are some pics of new paint and the "modifications" I have done.

I thought that simply taping the engine off to paint the frame would be easier then stripping the whole bike, but I think in hindsight I would have rather taken the engine right out. Anyway, you live and learn...if anything else this project is certainly teaching me lots!
    1979 XS1100 SF - My first project

nice progress

Its looking good so far. Keep us posted.

Whats the ultimate concept?

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If you follow the link to Da-Bubble's thread you can see what he did, I hope to do the same with the rear fender and seat.

This is the fender I got for it. Of course it is only partly stripped and will need some cutting and holes filled before paint .

Comment

project looking good

and removeing the engine and putting back in is another project. looking good so far i think. stay with it so you can ride it before winter.
        79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

When you start with the bike that you have there, your not hurting my feelings at all to modify and make it your own. I do twinge when I see the almost mint bikes either parted out, or shredded and cut apart. But in this case, you could only improve it!

Looking good, and you certainly chose a very nice bike to model yours after in my opinion.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

That is my thoughts exactly DGXSER. I do love a nice stock xs11, but my bike was in pretty rough shape, and as my first bike, restoring it too stock form would have required a lot of work and probably more money. But maybe I'm just young and ignorant too

Comment

what kind of fender is that? sporty?
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
              1980 gs1000g "stock"
              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

The turn signals on the rear foot peg mounts were a nice touch.
                Looks like you are doing a great job.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

As for the fender I believe it is a Dyna, although I'm not an expert on my HD terminology haha.

Comment

Originally posted by paulapalooza View Post
                    That is my thoughts exactly DGXSER. I do love a nice stock xs11, but my bike was in pretty rough shape, and as my first bike, restoring it too stock form would have required a lot of work and probably more money. But maybe I'm just young and ignorant too
                    Nahh...it would have cost you a bunch to get that looking nice in stock form. A seat for that bike is about unobtainable, and then it would cost you about as much as the bike. Let alone the rest of the cosmetics.

Honestly, I would love to have gotten one of the Bob Jones $50 parts bikes, if it had a title to it. Basically I want to start my next project with an engine in a rolling frame. No fenders, no seat, no tank, no handle bars, no side covers, headlight and signals is optional. Probably prefer a Standard just because of the front forks and brakes. Everything from there I want to create/customize.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

There are certainly a lot of cool things to do with these bikes if you have a rough one to begin with.

Here are some updates with the wheels on and the gas tank (although just stripped) to give it an idea of the look.

Comment

I like where this is going!

I like the black frame and raw everything else like i'm seeing It now.That said, it will probably look even better finished as you see fit.
                        BTW, that seat in the first pics looks very Bosozoku.
                        Have a great project!
                        1980 XS1100LG (MNS)
                        Tucson, AZ
                        It's just like the beach, but with cactus and the tide comes in only a few times a year.

Be nice to scooters.
                        How would you feel with out the ability to get away from the cars?

Comment

A few updates. New signal lights on the front and the rear fender mounted.

Comment

Made a fiberglass seat pan. I have also added and shaped the padding to it but no pictures right now. It should be covered tomorrow (ish).

Comment

Here are some pics of the seat and also the side covers (prior to wet sanding and buffing).

Comment

Working...
                              X