Convert a Tube Wheel to Tubeless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert a Tube Wheel to Tubeless...

Just a quick 'how-to' for those that have an early standard with 'tube-only' wheels...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ok, here's one of those pesky holes for the 'bead locks' they felt were needed on these...

[IMG][/IMG]
    ... drill the holes out to 7/16". There's plenty of 'meat' for this by the way....

[IMG][/IMG]
    ... then tap the holes with a 1/4" pipe tap. I had to turn the tap almost all the way in, but be careful not to go too far...

[IMG][/IMG]
    ... get it right, and the pipe plug will come flush when tight...

[IMG][/IMG]
    ... AND be flush on the inside too!

I used some JBWeld as sealer/threadlock when I did the final install. Once sanded smooth and with some paint, this will disappear. A 'standard' pipe plug is just the right length for this.

By the way, the tube/tubeless rear wheels are virtually identical except for the holes.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Very nice!!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

nice work,
      ive also seen the tubeless valves fitted in there
      also without any problems.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
        nice work, ive also seen the tubeless valves fitted in there also without any problems.
        Yeah, but you don't have to explain these...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Yeah, but you don't have to explain these...
          lol

arhhh but it give u 2 extra points to fill it up with air.

tho i do like the look of the flush mount to the rim.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Bead locks

Don't want to appear stupid but what do you mean by "Bead Locks" ? for the life of me I can't figure out why the extra holes are there.Thanks Duke

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Duke View Post
              Don't want to appear stupid but what do you mean by "Bead Locks" ? for the life of me I can't figure out why the extra holes are there.Thanks Duke
              hi duke,

heres a pic,

this fits inside the tyre, once tightened it clamps the tyre to the rim,
              because our xs's have so much torque the idea is to prevent the tyre
              from slipping on the rim and causing the valve from the inner tube from
              ripping out. these arent fitted to tubeless tyres and usually found on mx tyres.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots

Comment

Sorry for the necromancy on an old post but I think this is a great idea and it should be in the "Tech Tips" section.
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Hasn't this point been discussed before and someone pointed out that the tubeless rims have a different shape from the tubeless, where the bead sits?
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Hasn't this point been discussed before and someone pointed out that the tubeless rims have a different shape from the tubeless, where the bead sits?
                    Front wheel yes, rear wheel no. Crazy steve has both and has done a direct compare, the only difference on the rear is the hole for the bead locks and the lack of the stamp. The front however does have a different profile at the bead area of the rim.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Ah, yes, I remember now.

What actually is the reasoning for converting a tubed rear wheel to tubeless, and removing the bead grips etc?
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Ah, yes, I remember now.

What actually is the reasoning for converting a tubed rear wheel to tubeless, and removing the bead grips etc?
                        Ever change one by hand that has the bead locks? Its a down right PITA and you can end up pinching a tube. Much easier without putting a tube in and having to worry about pinching it.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                          Ever change one by hand that has the bead locks? Its a down right PITA and you can end up pinching a tube. Much easier without putting a tube in and having to worry about pinching it.
                          Yes, I have... on four XS1100's over about 250,000 of use. All the UK ones have bead locks as standard. I've always changed my tyres myself, front and rear, using tyre levers. If you do it right, you don't pinch the tube. If that's the only benefit in taking the bead locks off, I'd personally rather leave them on, I think. JB Weld and plugs sounds secure enough but it would be a catastrophic deflation if they failed.

I use 9" levers and two plastic rim protectors and partially inflate the tube before using levers.

Comment

Ah, yes, I remember now.

Hey James:

I change my own tires also and have done the tube types with the rim locks.
                            Here are my reasons for converting to the tubeless types:

I ride a standard like yourself and the replacement rear tires are limited.
                            Mostly tubless which the ones I have gotten are fine to run with tubes but; The speed rating is lowered one rating with a tube.

I recently bought a stop and go plug kit so on the road tire repairs can be done much easier.

In the past 2 years I have replaced 6 tires myself wouldn't call myself a expert tire replacer but I'm no slacker either.

If on the road would much rather make an emergency plug repair than to be breaking out tire irons.
                            I have also read if you pick up a nail or a simular puncture; the tubless tire is designed to seal around it thus making it possible to make it to a safer place to deal with the problem.

I chose to find later wheels that were stamped suitable for tubless. I like yourself feel why have the additional concern of a taped hole.

I did apprieciate Steves research since; with bikes this old we are on our own. When it comes to tires and wheels I'm down right paranoid.

Rick
                            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                            650SF
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                            XS1100SG Project bike
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

...If that's the only benefit in taking the bead locks off, I'd personally rather leave them on, I think. JB Weld and plugs sounds secure enough but it would be a catastrophic deflation if they failed...
                              That's not the only benefit... I don't know about Europe, but here in the US finding 'tube' tires is all but impossible these days as nearly all street tires are now tubeless. So by fitting a tube into a tubeless tire, you reduce the speed/load rating by a measurable amount. Converting will also reduce unsprung weight a bit, another small help for ride/handling. Add in the ease of tire changes, I can't think of a reason not to convert.... those beadlocks were overkill. If you're running low tire pressure (i.e. drag racing), you might need them, but otherwise I can't recall hearing of a single case of the tire spinning on the rim.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X