bought a second xs1100. Am I nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a second xs1100. Am I nuts?

I just got a 78 xs1100 standard (F?). So my insanity is growing. YAY!
    Here is what I know:
    previous-previous owner took good care of bike. made some nice subtle changes and engine blacked.
    Immediate previous owner was a teenager.... and abused the bike as only kids can.
    Clutch will not disengage.
    Podded.
    both petcocks leak and the petcocks apparently have no OFF position, so leaks out of left pod.
    Octi is long gone.
    10.9k original miles.
    Left fork is wet up tube.
    Missing left cover.
    Kid wanted a moped and practically threw the bike at me for $500.
    Some "work" was performed but no details. I dealt with a third party (his dad who thought the 1100 was too much bike for a first bike).
    Body is in nice shape. Custom bright red paint and stickers replaced emblems.
    Sat for "4 months" but I reckon it was longer.
    I will get pics up tonight and bug everyone.
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

bought a second xs1100. Am I nuts?
    YES but you have a lot of company here.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

no octy on 78

Red,

The 78s were only Standards so there was no octy like the Specials in 79+

The vacuum shutoff is built into those petcocks which sound like need rebuilding. If leaking into pod then you prob already know its possibly in oil crankcase so try not to run until oil changed and leak fixed.

You might look to replace the pods since the early carbs are more sensitive and easy to block off the internal passages if pods cover port.

Welcome to the insanity, you will enjoy the different feel to the different bikes.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

First of course, welcome to the TRUE insanity of XS11 ownership, nobody can own just one!!

BTW, a 78 is an E model.

The E model only came as a standard, and the standard petcocks do not have an off position. The standard petcocks each have a vacuum valve and therefore there is no Octi.

I would strongly suggest going through the Neglected XS thread. Also go over the bike from front to back and perform every maintenance item listed in the manual.

Sounds like you will get to replace fork seals as well as rebuild petcocks, replace a clutch cable, and then the normal fun of cleanign carbs and brakes thoroughly!!

Yep, it is a sickness, you have to enjoy the work almost as much as the riding to bite into one like that.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Nuts? With only two?

No, that comes with the third, fourth, and fifth XS...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Congrats on your new bike. IIRC the earlier petcocks have no rebuild kits any more. Not much you can do as far as rebuilding. Do a search and you will find a few different mods for creating an off position. My favorite is removing the small tab on the chrome plate that has the positions stamped into it. Just a few strokes with a file and they are gone and you can rotate the lever far enough to miss align the internals and stop gas flow. Really simple solution and no money involved, and no one can tell its not stock!
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

hurry up and gets some pics up of that 11
              _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
              1980 gs1000g "stock"
              1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
              2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

Nuts

Hey Red, I don't think the HAVING an XS11 makes you nuts, I think its the wanting,scheming, planning and actually working on them that makes you nuts. Having only 2 counts only as temporary insanity. At one time I had 3, but the frame tubes were split, so I stripped it and now I only have 2 and a parts kit!
                1979XS1100SF
                K&N's and drilled airbox
                Jardine 4in1
                Dunlop Elite 3's
                JBM slide diaphragms
                142.5 main jets
                45 pilot jets
                T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                750/850 FD mod.
                XV 920 Needle Mod.
                Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Probably, if I wasn't married I would have more than one for sure! If that makes you crazy, count me in!
                  Bothell, WA
                  1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I do indeed feel the urge to work on these bikes. I got my first one running REALLY smooth and Im incredibly proud of it, being its my "first" bike I ever attempted to work on. Now this one is already in my workspace and I have the clutch half disassembled (basket isnt off, but I wanted to look-see).
                    The Clutch cable wasnt adjusted at all (at the lever) and I toyed with that but still not disengaging properly.
                    Anyhow, here is the pics. Anyone ID the exhaust for me? Im curious.

79 Special
                    2012 FJR1300

Comment

I think that is a MAC exhaus. It has special handlebars ok it. The deals aren't too bad. Interesting tail light.

Very nice though!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

bikebandit has petcock rebuild kits from K&L for the 78E. So hopefully I can get that taken care of.
                        I am looking into clutch cables now.
                        After cracking open the clutch housing I dont think its been opened in a long time.
                        Are clutch disengage problems a sign of abuse? I unscrewed the cable adjustment at the lever all the way out and its not disengaging correctly. I watched the lever and it pulls all the way up at max adjustment, but still not letting go correctly I can move the throwout arm manually with a bit of grunting.
                        79 Special
                        2012 FJR1300

Comment

Looks liek a Standard issued Special, or is it a very special Standard??

Some after market stuff, some frankenbike stuff, but overall a nice looking machine!

As to the clutch, first thign to try is adjusting the screw at the clutch itself. If you have the clutch cover off already, I would pull the clutch off, clean the friction disc, scuff them a little, and then use a 0000 steel wool or emery cloth to take the haze off the metal plates. If it sat a long time it is very possible the oil has turned to goo between the plate and friction pads and making them stick together.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt View Post
                            bikebandit has petcock rebuild kits from K&L for the 78E. So hopefully I can get that taken care of.
                            I am looking into clutch cables now.
                            After cracking open the clutch housing I dont think its been opened in a long time.
                            Are clutch disengage problems a sign of abuse? I unscrewed the cable adjustment at the lever all the way out and its not disengaging correctly. I watched the lever and it pulls all the way up at max adjustment, but still not letting go correctly I can move the throwout arm manually with a bit of grunting.
                            Looks like a standard. I would suggest getting petcock kits from georgefix on ebay. He has the best kits for them. You will probably have to stretch the spring just a bit to get the thing to seal when off, but other than that they should work fine after that. But if the there is leakage, the carbs are leaking too, and need work.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

that kinda looks like it might be 81 gas tank. look at the knee indents on the side of the gas tank. If they are round it is gonna be a regular standard gas tank,if the front edge of the indent is flat and it's taller then its gonna be 81 gas tank which is a special larger gas tank.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X