No announcement yet.

Xs1100 Rebuild thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most common cause on the 80+ carbs on what you are describing is NOT the needles! This is most commonly caused by the o-ring on the needle valve seat, and no amount of fiddling with the needle valve itself will fix that problem without fixing the needle valve seat problem. You can get the o-ring from most auto parts stores although a Napa parts store will be more likely to have a large assortment that would have what you need, HF also has an assortment you can buy that has what you need. When you pull the needle valve seat out of the carb, there is an o-ring around it, that compresses and wears with age and gas leaks around it, and causes case to overflow the carb. It's an easy fix once you get the right sized o-rungs, and many carb kits come with new seats with new o-rings which of course fixes the problem for you.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yeah the o ring is usually the problem, but if it is the original needles most likely the viton tips are hard anyways.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        Yeah the o ring is usually the problem, but if it is the original needles most likely the viton tips are hard anyways.
        Yes, but my point is if the viton tips are hard or have a ring in them (the most common problem with them BTW) then the o-rings are bad for sure and need to be replaced as well. So, if you replace the needles, you also need to replace the o-rings at the same time, just sayin. You may or may not need to replace the needles if you replace the o-rings, but I'd bet on needing it the other way. IIRC the kits that come with a new gasket, the needle valve and a new seat with o-ring were pretty cheap, and pretty cheap insurance in my book.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I agree with you both indeed.
          I SHOULD just buy a rebuild kit for the carbs etc etc....
          Im really trying to keep these things down to a bare minimum... Fix what i HAVE to, PAY for what I have to ya know? I've got a million parts in the storage unit so im trying to use my resources before my all important money. (Cost of living in DC is astronomical!!!!!!!!!!)
          I've got new needles on the way, I've got a stash of O rings. I'm trying to contact said parts supplier and get new seats delivered as well before he ships, but if its already shipped I'll put new o rings on myself.
          Restoring my XJ700 I know what i SHOULD do.. But I wanna put bare minimum into it for now. I wanna know if i wanna keep this thing, or i wanna get it runnin, put a primer on it, and make a PROFIT.
          So before i dump money into it I gotta know if I like ridin it.
          If shes as reliable (Or as unreliable in Maxines case) as my XJ, I'll prob keep her.
          We'll see.
          But the Viton tips ARE hard, and the Orings look in DECENT shape. Not immaculate. Could stand to replace both.
          -Chris
          1980 XS1100- Runnin! But not well.. YET! Pods, Mac 4-2 exhaust, Backrest, Hard Case Saddlebags. Obnoxiously big Cruiser For now
          2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 11k Runnin just fine
          (Girlfriends Toy)
          "Maxine" Gold and Green
          '85 Yamaha Maxim XJ700 18k miles. Runnin like a champ

Originally posted by bill
          You're having way too much fun Chris

Comment

Working...
          X