Still struggling with carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still struggling with carb parts

I've almost got the carbs for my '79 Special sorted out. Came with two sets of carbs, broken down and intermingled. Carbs are from the '79 and a second set from "an early FJ 1200.

Pretty close but want to be sure I have the diaphragm assemblies correct. I believe the pictures on the right are the '79's. The ends of the needles are more pointed. Do you guys agree?

Thanks,
    Doug (Aches n Pains)
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

agree

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
    I've almost got the carbs for my '79 Special sorted out. Came with two sets of carbs, broken down and intermingled. Carbs are from the '79 and a second set from "an early FJ 1200.

Pretty close but want to be sure I have the diaphragm assemblies correct. I believe the pictures on the right are the '79's. The ends of the needles are more pointed. Do you guys agree?

Thanks,
    Doug (Aches n Pains)
    yes i think you are right. mine have the pointed ones also. since you have those off the carbs, i would check the needle jet, emulsion tubes, and pilot towers, to be sure they are clear of build up.
    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

I'd say the rights are def. 79's. I'm intimately acquainted with my 79 standard carbs and there's no way they have the blunt end of the left one in the pix!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

ive never seen a slide needle that
        doesnt have some sort of taper at the bottom
        of it, the needle on the left looks like its been cut,
        the one on the right looks corrects, just make sure
        all 4 needles are the same.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

If the only difference is the needles, there's no reason why you couldn't use either slide assembly. But diameter, needle jet position, cutaway all need to be the same...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...