Does this look like a defect to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look like a defect to you?

It does to me. This Bridgestone S11 tire was manufactured 47th week of 09, installed April of '10. So it's been on the bike for a year, 4000 mi on it. The split isn't all the way through, so it didn't lose any air. But it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't discovered it and it decided to blow at speed.

Check you tires, boys before and after every ride.

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Hard to tell if its a defect or something you ran over.
    1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
    2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
      It does to me. - - -
      Hi DaVinci,
      yeah, me too. Or you could have run over something sharp?
      Whatever, you shouldn't be riding on it and you'd best put another tire on there.
      The only difference is, who pays? If it's a defect, the tire supplier should pony up for at least the unworn portion, if you ran over a sharpie you are stuck buying the replacement yourself.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

New tire is already installed. I think it's a defect 'cause the split seems to follow the contour of the tread.
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Yeah. looks like defect. Also looks like you prefer right turns.
          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

You'd get something like this from a curved piece of broken bottle, I reckon......
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

99% it is a defect. It would take a really rare and odd object to hit the tire just right to make a cut that follows the groove of the tire like that. Not impossible but extremely improbable.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Don't defects tend to be a slightly ragged tear, rather than have a sharp edge like the one in the pic.? A bit like the ones you get on a really old tyre that's split.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                X