Quick Fix For Leaking Petcocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Fix For Leaking Petcocks?

Hey everyone I need some help my petcocks are leaking even in the off position does anyone know any quick fixes for this? I am ordering some petcock rebuild kits and carb rebuild kits but I just want to know if there is something I can do till then? Thanks for any help and also I have a 79 xs11 special

Rebuild kits on ebay from georgefix. Until then a vice grip on the fuel lines....
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Take the tank off and drain it down till your petcock kits arrive. Just don't drop a breaker bar on it while it sits on the floor, BTDT. No riding though.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by XSWild34 View Post
        Hey everyone I need some help my petcocks are leaking even in the off position does anyone know any quick fixes for this? I am ordering some petcock rebuild kits and carb rebuild kits but I just want to know if there is something I can do till then? Thanks for any help and also I have a 79 xs11 special
        Hi Scott,
        if you just can't wait until the kits arrive, try this:-
        Flip the multi-hole rubber washer over so it uses the other side, very carefully re-arch the wavy spring washer so it applies more pressure and polish the tap seal face.
        It just might work.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, if you need a quick fix, take apart the petcocks, reverse the rubber washer (you'll probably find one side of the washer has worn/rough looking edges), and see if that fixes it. Since you have kits on the way, I wouldn't mess with the spring unless there are new springs in the kit.

I took my petcocks apart on my 80 Special last fall, they weren't leaking, but none the less I wanted to check them out, and proactively reversed the rubber washer (didn't do anything to the spring) because of the wear, even though I had no leaks.

With all that said, if you reverse the rubber washer and it fixes the problem, run it that way and save your kits until it leaks again. Petcocks are relatively low in the PITA factor in terms of servicing.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

You can also check the oring on the backside and give the spring a little stretch. Even on a new rebuilt kit I do this because the brass plunger never seat until you do
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by GARTHXS View Post
              You can also check the oring on the backside and give the spring a little stretch. Even on a new rebuilt kit I do this because the brass plunger never seat until you do
              This only applies to the stamdarda vacuum operated petcocks.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Float seats

If the carbs are in good working order why does it matter. Good float bowl seats and proper float bowl height will stop the fuel flow anyway.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

planedick,

From the post that started this thread, his petcocks are leaking, good carbs and float stuff ain't gonna fix a leaky petcock up top!
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I'm a couple days late, but years ago I went to my local hardware store, found some large diameter neoprene rubber fender washer types washers, and made my own valve using a single hole puncher just like for the gaskets. My old valves were so worn, they were crumbling! The problem is that for the specials, the outer valve o-ring is quite small/thin, and can also tear/break easily if it's as old as the valve, and I couldn't find one thin enough at the hardware store to replace it!

Another option is to put a lawnmower cut off valve in line between the petcocks and the carbs! JAT!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      This only applies to the stamdarda vacuum operated petcocks.
                      LOL! I had to read that three times and then twist my mind to figure that one out!
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                        LOL! I had to read that three times and then twist my mind to figure that one out!
                        Yup fat finger small phone keyboard problem...
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                        X