Headlamp Modulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp Modulator

Just installed a headlamp modulator from JC Whitney for just $32.99! http://www.jcwhitney.com/headlight-d...d=d2468y1978j3
    I bypassed the RLU which left me a really convenient place to mount the modulator, I tied it in at the headlamp relay output so it will "flash" both the high and low beam filaments as I choose.
    This particular device requires the addition of a (not included) override or defeat switch for night time use, but fortunately for myself and any other '78 owners, tying it in at the headlamp relay output makes the headlamp on-off switch on the right hand grip control assembly a built in override with no further mods or wiring needed!
    With the engine running and the headlamp switch 'off', the headlight is on and modulated (flashing most annoyingly for all to see). Headlamp switch on, the device is bypassed and the headlight is on steady.
    Oh, and yes, the dash illumination lamps are indeed tied in with the headlamp and therefore are also modulated, but I figure since I can't see the dash lights in the daylight, I can use them as an indicator of sorts. Such that if I'm riding into dusk, at the time I start to notice the dash lamps flickering behind the speedo, it's probably time to bypass the device and turn the headlight on full. If not, I'll just slave the dash backlamps to the parking lamp circuit.
    No such thing as too visible....
    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Great price...

But that one isn't legal in Texas - I had to go for a more expensive one. Texas says it has to have a sensor to auto shutoff at dusk.

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

So you are saying that you wired it in as directed and it just happened to work out that the on off switch for the headlight turned the modulator on or off?

I have seen some other modulators at some other sites for like 5-10th bucks and just been a bit leery.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        So you are saying that you wired it in as directed and it just happened to work out that the on off switch for the headlight turned the modulator on or off?
        Not quite, when I found it in the cataolg and it stated the need for a defeat switch in the description, I looked at the headlamp schematics and determined that it should work that way, so long as the clymer diagram is accurate. Turns out it is accurate, and it works as I expected
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

Comment

But there was nothing special that you had to do to make it work that way?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            But that one isn't legal in Texas - I had to go for a more expensive one. Texas says it has to have a sensor to auto shutoff at dusk.

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

John
            I wonder if you could wire in a photo-sensor switch, like what I use on my yard lamp post to turn ON at dusk, but switch it to turn OFF instead? Just mount the sensor somewhere inconspicuous and it would work automatically.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

the one I have has that sensor

it just cost $60 more than the JCW version. But I didnt have to bypass the RLU which I want to keep.

john

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

I put the signal dynamics diamond star on my bike, regular prices is 69 but I got mine on sale.
                It replaces the rlu - senses a burnt out bulb and automatically switches to the other beam.
                It can be toggled on-off, has a hi and low mode, will flash when you honk the horn, and comes with the light sensor to shut it off at night.

I've been very pleased with it so far. I also have their "back off" brake light modulator and haven't had any problems with that either.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

I never liked the idea of those flashers, I think it confuses drivers and can pose an even larger risk to the rider. Thats all Im going to say about that. GL!
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I'd rather have a confused driver see me, than a distracted drive not see me.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

I will tell you what...

They sure move out of the way since I put it on.

I dont think my bike looks like a cop bike in the least, but I have had literally tons of drivers move to the right as I came up behind.

Nice for me. I feel a twinge of guilt, but then I get over it

John

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        But there was nothing special that you had to do to make it work that way?
                        Nope, nothing else at all Nate. I simply spliced it in at the headlamp relay output.

I only bypassed the rlu before installing it, as I did not wish to find out afterward that they won't get along and play nice together, and it also left a really handy place to mount it.

By the way, it is physically about half the size of the rlu ( slightly larger than a standard bosch relay) and has just two terminals marked 'pos' and 'lamp'.
                        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Comment

Working...
                        X