seat trim and rear turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat trim and rear turn signals

Did Yamaha ever produce 1978 XS1100's with rear turn signals mounted on the brake light/license plate bracket? And sell bikes with king and queen style seats with the standard looking trim along the bottom of the seat? I suppose someone can transfer the trim. Saw a bike that looked like it came that way.
    1978 XS1100
    1979 Honda Goldwing

Not in the US (and I don't think in Canada either), but they did sell versions with the rear turns mounted at the taillight bracket elsewhere (Europe for sure). If you hunt around, you can find '78 taillight brackets that have two rubber plugs just in front of the license plate bracket; there's a couple of clamps in there for the euro-type turns, but they weren't used here. Not all US-model '78s had the clamps, and later models almost never did.

As far as the K/Q seats, those were all aftermarket. Several seat outfits (Corbin and K&S to name two) offered replacement K/Q seats that could accept the OEM trim for a 'factory' look. Yamaha offered a plusher 'touring' seat for the early XS standards, but it was a conventional type. The only 'factory' K/Q seat I'm aware of is the one fitted to the '81 standard, but that won't retrofit back to the early bikes.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ok I am curious as to what the signal lights/mounts looked like for these euro XS's.

There is also the oem signal light bar that came with the baggers.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I'm looking to buy one with those turn signals mounted in the wrong place in my mind. must be a corbin or K & S seat. I was surprised to see the trim on it, wondered if the seat was too wide to keep the turn signals in the normal place. Vin is a fairly low number 2H7-008847. I mis spoke, it's not a K/Q it is more of a touring seat.
        1978 XS1100
        1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

The lights are square so I thought they were stock at first. The posts are really wide.
          1978 XS1100
          1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro1954 View Post
            Did Yamaha ever produce 1978 XS1100's with rear turn signals mounted on the brake light/license plate bracket? And sell bikes with king and queen style seats with the standard looking trim along the bottom of the seat? I suppose someone can transfer the trim. Saw a bike that looked like it came that way.
            You are right. There was a bar than mounted to the license plate with a passthrough for the wires. At least on the standards, there are wires ready to go for this purpose right behind the taillight assembly. They put the lights wide and sort of funny looking with you don't have bags. I narrowed a bar for the use of "leather" bags on one of my bikes which involves cutting and notching (maybe more, I don't remember).
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

There is such a thing, they come up on ebay quite often.

Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

The European version didn't look like the photo above though. The rear turn signal stems (there were two of them) went through round holes in the tail light bracket and were held in place by individual clamps behind the licence plate holder (which was bigger than the US version). There wasn't a long bar as in the pic above..... On the European version, the rear fender is longer too

Last edited by James England; 04-25-2011, 02:29 PM.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

from looking at the photos (wish I could post them, I've tried but no success yet. Have to read the instructions). looks to me that the touring seat is sitting a little lower over the frame and fender, and or the luggage rack is sitting about where the turn signals are usually mounted so where the stock turn signals would mount there isn't room so they rigged something right below the tail light. I see the holes where the stem would slide through as shown in James photos, but he didn't run them through those holes. Can't see from the pics how they are fastened. Like usual side covers are missing - darn it anyway. Hope to go see it later this week. It's a 1978.
                  1978 XS1100
                  1979 Honda Goldwing

Comment

I relocated the TS lamps to my tail lamp/licsence plate braket to accomodate bags on my 78 some time ago. the knockouts and wiring exists therein...
                    2h7006021, u.s. sold yes?
                    http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/...5/DSCN1553.jpg

Just recently added an LED automotive center high mount stop lamp to the tail light/plate bracket as well, HOLY STOP LIGHTS BATMAN! that thing is bright!
                    '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro1954 View Post
                      I see the holes where the stem would slide through as shown in James photos, but he didn't run them through those holes. Can't see from the pics how they are fastened. .
                      They are fastened inside the tail light bracket by circular clamps which are tightened with small bolts. You may find that these clamps are missing on the US tail light units, even if they have the holes for the stems.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

the aussie versions have them welded
                        behind the tail light on the bracket, same or
                        similar to the euro bikes, they pop up occassionaly
                        on aussie ebay but i havent seen any in a while.
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

My '78 has those holes as well as the clamps inside the tail light housing. I was trying to think of a way to mount my turn signals though those holes.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                            ...You may find that these clamps are missing on the US tail light units, even if they have the holes for the stems.
                            All of the taillight mounts I've seen here with the holes also have the clamps, but I've never seen them used as this style was never offered in the US. You need the special stanchions these used with the 'stepped' diameter as the clamps in the housings are quite a bit smaller than the turn housing holes.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                              The European version didn't look like the photo above though. The rear turn signal stems (there were two of them) went through round holes in the tail light bracket and were held in place by individual clamps behind the licence plate holder (which was bigger than the US version). There wasn't a long bar as in the pic above..... On the European version, the rear fender is longer too
                              Hi James,
                              I've been so long away I'd forgotten about those big as a bedsheet UK number plates.
                              Is the EuroXS plate bracket signal mount an option or are they all like that?
                              I wondered if the Euro frame also has the big ugly rear signal mounting loops or did they leave them off?
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X