Drilled Airbhox???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled Airbhox???

Just wondering how and why people drill out their airbox? What are the pro's and con's?
    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
    1978 XS 1100E
    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
    K & N Air filter
    Home built forward controls
    Vulcan Mustang seat
    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

It's about increasing airflow through the filter. In stock trim the only intake is through the snorkel under the seat and some people feel that just isnt enough so they drill the underside of the air box to let more through. Personally I dont have problems with the stock setup and think it lets plenty of air in for the engines needs, but those who insist on making things 'better' swear by it.

There are also those who believe that it can let water in to the intake, but this is largely false, as the holes don't go directly into the filter housing, but rather into the plenum box underneath, but a little water misting into the intake isnt a bad thing anyway, as long as its misting and not whole droplets.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Mine had holes when I got it.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I run both my stock 79 air boxes with two 1" holes in the bottom center, cut back snorkel, and a K&N, better breathing totally, works for me.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the info, I have a K & N and even with my fuel idle mixture screws all the way in, it runs rich. Maybe the extra hole might help.
          1978 XS 1100E
          K & N Air filter
          Vulcan Mustang seat
          A little chopped

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Thanks for the info, I have a K & N and even with my fuel idle mixture screws all the way in, it runs rich. Maybe the extra hole might help.
            Could be a lot of things causing a rich condition including a weak spark. You could try running it temporarily with the bottom of the air box off, see if that helps, JAT.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Could be a lot of things causing a rich condition including a weak spark. You could try running it temporarily with the bottom of the air box off, see if that helps, JAT.
              I will give it a shot for a bit tomorrow, roads still havent been swept yet though, the city covers them with sand in the winter, thanks.
              Last edited by Brad; 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM.
              1978 XS 1100E
              K & N Air filter
              Vulcan Mustang seat
              A little chopped

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                hi brad,

if u can screw the mixture screws all the way in (gently seated) without the
                bike stalling at idle, sounds like ur pilot jets could be to big,
                have u changed them out from stock, some after market kits
                that have 42.5 stamped on the pilots are the wrong ones and
                run much richer than the stock pilots. jat.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

It could be the carbs are out of synch or the idle circuit is plugged up and the throttle plates have to be opened so far that the transition ports are beginning to be uncovered.

The mixture screws can't adjust the transition ports, only the idle ports and it'll be too rich; three holes extra feeding fuel instead of just the one.
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    It could be the carbs are out of synch or the idle circuit is plugged up and the throttle plates have to be opened so far that the transition ports are beginning to be uncovered.

The mixture screws can't adjust the transition ports, only the idle ports and it'll be too rich; three holes extra feeding fuel instead of just the one.
                    i agree if it was 1 or 2 carbs that were doing it,
                    but if the bike was at idle (1100rpm or lower) and all 4 mixture screws were screwed in at the same time
                    and that made no difference to the idle or it increased it, then
                    it would be more likely that the pilot jets are to big,
                    but for sure u would still want the carbs synced to be certain.
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Mine aren't drilled and it runs fine. There are definitely aspects of the bike which benefit from being made 'better' than the OEM spec eg rectifier/regulator, coils, fusebox etc but I'm not sure that drilling holes in the airbox is one of them. I don't like the idea drilling great big holes in an airbox that's surviuved 30 years unscathed. I've not fitted a front mudflap for the same reason. They all seem to need drilling of the fender!
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

There are definitely aspects of the bike which benefit from being made 'better' than the OEM spec eg rectifier/regulator, coils, fusebox etc but I'm not sure that drilling holes in the airbox is one of them. +1 England,and not just for proper look either. There's more to the innards by design for efficient air flow and correct velocity matching with the sidedraft carbs than meets the eye. Same goes for the stock exhaust where each 2 into one meets. In stock form, most power through ALL rpm ranges IS achieved in stock original configuration. Although some don't have alot of choice when putting them back on the road.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Although some don't have alot of choice when putting them back on the road.
                          Got that in one! My barn dweller was not merely drilled, swilled, and killed, but dented, scratched, and dropped
                          Some sort of afterthought mufflers had been (ahem) "welded" on, and that was before it had been laid down!
                          The airbox was an abortion, the tank caved in on the side, engine side covers gouged , RTV IN THE CARBS!!! fer cryin' out loud!! What some people will do to a bike.......

I accuired this bike free of charge, but have no realistic tally of how much money I've put into it, and have not kept track of the hours.

If for no other reason, if and when I do find myself with a different bike, this one will never leave my stable for all of the blood sweat and tears I've put into it making it right and making it mine. I've had many bikes, but never more than one at a time (the wife and kid's notwithstanding). Part of what may be considered my soul went into this machine, and still does.
                          '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                            i agree if it was 1 or 2 carbs that were doing it ....
                            Yebbut if it's jetted too rich you have to open the throttle plates farther to get enough air to run at the correct idle speed. That starts to uncover the transition ports and then your mixture screws don't work any more on any of the carburetors.

I guess I'm agreeing with the jets being to rich but didn't write it clearly.
                            -- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                              Yebbut if it's jetted too rich you have to open the throttle plates farther to get enough air to run at the correct idle speed. That starts to uncover the transition ports and then your mixture screws don't work any more on any of the carburetors.

I guess I'm agreeing with the jets being to rich but didn't write it clearly.
                              lol, thats ok scott,
                              i dont write clearly at the best of times. :-)
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots

Comment

Working...
                              X