Tranny pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny pull

i picked up the new tranny from my xj1100j yesterday. a very nice used one from a junk bike. all the gears look great with no rounding at all. the cycle guru's at crc2 in indy gave it a clean bill of health. yamaha has ordered the service manual for me but while i am waiting for it i have a few questions for those who have made the exchange before.
    1. exactly which seals and gaskets do i need to pick up?
    2. any other odd parts?
    3. which side is best to pull the motor from?
    4. any special tools involved?
    finally while i have it apart i am going to replace the original 4 into 2 exhaust with a mac 4 into 1, will i need to monkey with any rejetting. most of what i have read here states the xj can handle it ok without any carb changes.
    finally on an off note sears has a whale of a deal on a 242 peice toolset reg 299 on sale 148 through this weekend. it include 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets as well as allens and over 20 wrenches, all in metric and sae. i picked one up and plan on being well prepared to yank the motor.

thanks,
    cheers daryl

tranny

Daryl, when i did my xj i drained all the fluids, removed the battery , took off the mirrors and turned the bike upside down saved me from removing the engine plus it was a lot eazier to put the gears in with the bike at waist height. I figger it saved me about 6 hrs labour plus i didnt disturb the drive shaft etc HTH.............MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

upside down

was everything easy to get to using that process. how did the case split? that sounds like the way to go.

Comment

tranny

If your just putting gears and or shifting forks in your tranny you dont need to split the cases Did you check out the second gear fix. The pics you see there are of the bottom of the motor . I just took the bottom cover off and the side covers on both sides, I put 2nd ,5th and 2 shifting forks in mine by just removing the afore mentioned items >>>>>>>>>>>>>>MITCH
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

4 into one

Had one on mine with stock jets worked fine had it up tp 210 klm per hr about 134mph, down a hill with a tail wind, >>>>>>>>>>>
          MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

tran

thanks agian for the info. i am going for a complete replacement. shift forks, gears and all. i figure while i'm in there the first time why not make it the last time i'm in there.
            in regards to the 4 into 1, my neighbor has an xj also. his does have a 4 inot 1 and i don't believe he had it jetted. his does however have an circular hole in the bottom of his airbox about the size of a quarter that mine does not. next spring we plan on running them at street night at indianapolis raceway park. there are usually a lot of cafe racers there, so we will let the old xj's take em to school.

Comment

Hey there Daryl,

So..you bought a complete Tranny assembly from CRC? Or just the required gears and forks? The gears that get worn are on the counter shaft assembly, and both them and the shift forks can be removed from the bottom WITHOUT splitting the cases. As Mitch said, review the tech tips for the 2nd gear fix. I've done 3 of the 2nd gear fixes on my bike and two other XJ's, and also turned the XJ's upside down to work on them, with some help from a friend or two, it's much easier than pulling the engine!

If you go to the Yahoo site, to the files section, mods section, you'll find a write up and pictures there as well of the process as it was done to the 2nd XJ I worked on this spring. I did my first one after reviewing DennyZ's tips from his web pages.

The gaskets you'll need are the gear shift case, the clutch case, the tranny case. But if you're on a budget you can buy material and make them yourself also. Have you thought about your clutch friction plates? You have to pull the clutch, and if it's got plenty of miles on it, then you might want to consider replacing the frictions and springs "Since you'll be in there"! Just be careful about the starplate....be very careful!! Good Luck, let us know how it goes.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Common transmission parts

Here is a list I put together of gasket, gear, and shift fork nunbers for transmission work.

For those who are contemplating the "2nd gear fix" for your XS or XJ, here is a quick parts reference list.
                Part numbers for the 3 needed gaskets are:
                2H7-15451-00-00 Gasket, Crankcase cover (Clutch side cover)
                2H7-15461-00-00 Gasket, Crankcase cover 2 (shift shaft cover)
                2H7-13414-00-00 Gasket, Strainer cover (oil pan)

Exhaust gaskets (4 needed) are:
                431-14613-00-00 Gasket, exhaust pipe

Part numbers for the gears are:
                2H7-17221-01-00 Gear, 2nd wheel (39T)
                2H7-17251-00-00 Gear, 5th wheel (30T)

In rare cases you may need shift forks:
                2H7-18511-00-00 Shift fork 1
                2H7-18512-00-00 Shift fork 2
                2H7-18513-00-00 Shift fork 3

Forks are numbered left to right as you are sitting on the bike, so fork 3 is closest to the clutch.

While this list doesn't cover all the parts that might be needed in all cases, these are the most commonly needed parts.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

new tran

thank you for the information. i was indeed able to get a complete transmission from crc. it looks great so we figured to go ahead and replace the whole thing. thanks also for the part list information. i will consider the clutch. the bike only has around 8000 on it, however with the 1st gear gone i've done a lot of starting out of second. with winter coming the extra time pulling the whole engine will be no big deal. plus if i get the urge i still have an 80 suzuki gs850 and a 79 kaw sr650 to fall back on.
                  while we have it down in addition to the tran and exhaust i am considering fork tube replacements. mine are getting pitted and the seals shot. i have found new tubes from forks by frank for 180 plus shipping. does this sound reasonable for tubes.

thanks again daryl

Comment

Hey there again Daryl,

Well, my forks were badly rusted and such after sitting outside for 9 years, and so I also ordered a set from Frank, but mine were a bit more expensive since I had them made 4" over length to give mine more ground clearance and a pseudo chopper look and feel....for my height as well, and they were for my Special. Your price sounds right for stock sizes...mine were like $225.00.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                    X