The Tale of the Tires..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tale of the Tires..

With all this discussion about FD swaps, highway RPM and such, I thought I would show just how much tire sizes have changed since these bikes were new...

[IMG][/IMG]

Left to right, you have: a 4.50H-17, a new 160/80-16 (more on that later), a 130/90-17, and a 130/90-16. Now, the 4.50 has about 60% tread left (but is over 25 years old!), and the two 130s are pretty much worn out. But even if the latter two were new, that would increase their diameter by only about 1/2". As shown, there's nearly 1" difference between the 4.50 and the 130/90-17, and almost 2" between the 4.50 and the 16" tire. That's a lot in terms of circumference, and explains why the Specials respond so well the the FD swap.

The 160/80-16? As you can see, this is pretty close to the same size as the OEM 'standard' tire (about 3/8" smaller if the 4.50 was new), so that's my choice for a rear on one of mine. But this needs fairly extensive mods to the swingarm to make it fit due to it's greater width (6.15") so it's not an easy install.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

That's interesting. Thanx for that effort.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

What all do you think you will need to do to the swimgarm to get it to fit?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Already done it...

I had to cut the 'tire notch' deeper (beyond the driveshaft), then refill the cut-out while allowing maximum clearance. I also had to remove the stock anchor pin for the rear brake and make it removable. When I actually fit this to the bike (it's still all over the shop), I'll post a 'how-to'...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I would very much so like to see what all goes into getting that tire on.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Very interesting... also you wouldn't happen to be able to rinse the mud off would you so we can see your chicken strips
            And I would love to see a new 130/90 17 next to the 4.5h. I wonder how thick the tires are at the center if cut open. Maybe the older tires had much thicker rubber so the last longer...? Any estimates on how deep the rubber on the 4.5 is. I have a couple of diner carcases that are the 130/90 17s. I could cut one open and see. Maybe the tire manufacturers are gipping us big-time .
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

I saw a 491 dunlop on t99 fords bike in my 2011 calender he has the cafe racer right after my bike. It looks alot taller than the tire on mine. I think I was running the continue tour or milestone?
              " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
              xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
                ... Maybe the older tires had much thicker rubber so they last longer...?
                LOL! Not hardly.... that particular tire had maybe 3K miles on it, and was the third rear tire inside of 15K that I had put on. The OEM Bridgestone only went about 5K, I think I tried a Avon for the second and it wasn't much better. The one in the pic is a Continental, and might have gone 8K if I hadn't wrecked the bike.

I did compare the new 130/90-17 I mounted on the SG (standard rear wheel) to that 450H and it still wasn't as tall. I will say that the newer tires generally seem to 'track' better, but they haven't increased wear one bit that I can see...
                Last edited by crazy steve; 07-28-2011, 10:19 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

The one in the pic is a Continental, and might have gone 8K if I hadn't wrecked the bike.

I'd still be runnin' the K112 and RB2 on my Venturer if they they were still done in the 17". The Conti' rear WAS a bit softer compound and IIRC got anywhere from 6-10k depending on load and riding style. Interesting you still have one around Steve. The bike road and handled the best with these tires and stuck like glue hard cornering in the rain..........yup, the old 450/17 dropped it bout 200rpm less at any given speed than the shorter metric sizes of today.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                  X