Side cover help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side cover help

I have a '78 XS11E and I'd like to know what side covers will fit it. I've found covers for XS850 specials and smaller bikes, but does anyone know what will fit?
    Tony K.
    TonimusMaximus
    Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
    New 1978 XS11E Owner

Side cover help

Tonimus,

Well buddy you hit a good one...
    There are probably as many side cover varations for the XS 1100 as there are Chinamen...
    We have all three years of the Special '79/'80/'81 and they ALL have different side covers...some are "slotted" with a "pin" at the bottom...some have "rubber posts" and a "pin" at the bottom.

Both sides are different on ALL 3...and from what I have seen (and I still haven't seen 'em all) HUH? Denny...the Standards ARE ALL different as well (at least from the Specials)

And I have heard of bikes of the same year having different covers IE: two '80 Specials with different covers!

Now this has sparked many a campfire debate...and the consensus (at least from some of the Western riders &Canada) is
    that the Japanese builders...used what was available, 'till they ran out.

Now there has been some discussion that when us Americans tried to assemble the bikes (New) SOME of us didn't know what we were doing (HUH Rob?) and we just "slapped" them together.
    Now that may be the case when it came to seats or instrument clusters...or other "bolt on" parts.
    But the tangs are welded on for the side covers...and we didn't do that! so I'm sticking with NO#1...they used 'em 'till they ran out

And I am willing to bet...there's not a Human alive who can say WITH DEFINITE CERTAINTY, what cover "is on any particular machine" (unless they LOOK first)
    I can tell you what is on MY three...because I can LOOK at 'em
    The ONLY way to tell what covers fit YOUR machine...Is to LOOK at 'em...
    When you hunt E-bay (or anywhere else) just ask for a photo showing the BACK of the cover...then walk out to your bike AND LOOK
    that way the EXPERT is YOU
    Do NOT (underlined) take the word of some BOZO at the wrecking yard, who says "it says on the Tag '81 Special" so it SHOULD fit...good luck asking them to "describe" the "pins & posts" half those guys don't even know what you mean.
    For example...some of my covers have "slots" that fit ON a long "holder" others have "slots" but they are "rounded" and "CLIP" on a "post" they ALL have "pins" on the bottom.
    Sound confusing? Well now you are starting to "get the picture"
    Look carefully before you buy...and remember this, you DEFINETLY know a place to "get rid" of your mistakes RIGHT HERE!
    I usually BUY ANY XS 1100 side cover I find...because I know that a fellow XS'er will be looking for it soon enough, and if you've seen the price of "NEW" ones ($175.00 PER cover) you never pass one by...even cracked or broken ones are cheaper to repair than to replace
    The best expert...should be YOU...because only YOU know what's on YOUR machine
    Good luck on your hunt.
    Steve

"130mph sure is fun, I hope there ain't no Police around"
    "ARLO GUTHRIE"
    MO-N-STEVE
    '79 SF "MO's Missile"
    '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
    '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
    '80 SG "The BEAST"
    '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
    '81 SH "The NEW KID"
    '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

Well, at least I know now. Thanks so much for your your reply. Lots of help.
      Tony K.
      TonimusMaximus
      Big Angry Scot - Clan Maxwell
      New 1978 XS11E Owner

Comment

Working...
      X