Engine rebuilder wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuilder wanted

I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of someone who's done a major rebuild on xs11's. Right now, I'm planning on trucking mine to Kansas to see Bob Jones. I don't trust anyone here that I know, and I want the 2nd gear issue dealt with at the same time. As I've said in other posts, I'll be boaring out for the Weisco kit(117? or 119?) and port&polishing. new timing chain possibly as well. The point is, I don't ever want to do this again, so I need it done right the first time. Also, I'm about ready for a fork brace. I'd appreciate any help with info. Hope you guys in the south are having fun. I'm preping the garage for winter here.
    Matt
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

You picked right

From everything I have gathered and been able to read, Bob Jones is the place to go, if you can afford it.
    They are THE experts.
    '79 Special

Comment

You won't find a better product or price than a TKAT forkbrace. I believe you can get one of them via Bob Jones also, but you won't get the "TKAT direct" price.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Sorry, I missed the one on the F/B.... yes, I got the TKAT brace as well and I don't think you'll beat it.... absolutlely re: the 'Direct Price' as Ken said... and the fit is perfect!
        '79 Special

Comment

Bob Jones

is he the guy at Merriam? Let us know what the cost of a new rebuild is. I'm afraid there may be one on the near future for me too.
          Bob

Comment

Yes, Bob Jones is the guy at Merriam. Check out the "Hi-Performance" link on their website for a listing of price list covering some of the components for a do-it-yourself rebuild as well as some prices for some of the stuff they will do for you.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

So I take it that you guys feel the fork brace is a good investment? My front wheel starts hopping a little at 71mph, and by 78 it's good and annoying. My dads '80 standard does the same, only a little less. Will the fork brace make that go away? I know my wheel is balanced, and I have new bearings in there, so I can't think of anything else to do. Since I cruise between 70 and 80 most of the time, I would really like to solve this little irritation. About the rebuild, I'll be waiting till March or April to take a vacation, and hopefully by May I'll have dyno charts to share. In the mean time, I'll work on a few more alterations. I wish Bob would get that Street Sleeper on the drag strip and dyno for us. He set the table and served the salad, but no main course. Maybe he fears a lawsuit or something.
              Matt
              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

TKAT brace

I don't think the brace will solve your straight ahead hopping. Sounds like an alignment problem or out of round tire/wheel. \\

However, The handling on any turn on my 78 with hiway fairing was WAY improved with the TKAT. No more of that snake like feeling at any speed.
                Bob

Comment

Front Wheel Hop

Matt, what you describe is a front tire/wheel that is out of balance. Get it rebalanced.
                  A trick that you can try is to raise the front wheel off of the ground, lever back the front pads from the rotors and spin the front wheel. If the wheel bearings are new and free the wheel should rotate freely. The heavy spot should end up at the bottom.
                  Repeat the spinning several tims marking the bottom spot each time.
                  Another little trick that you can apply is to lightly tap the end of the axle as the wheel spins. This small shocking usually aids the wheel to continue spinning longer.
                  If two of you have the same problem I expect that both were balanced in the same shop with the same poor result.
                  Ken/Sooke
                  78E Ratbyk
                  82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Thanks Bob and Ken. Now that you mention it Ken, both front tires were mounted in the same shop. I just assumed that it was properly balanced because it's always been that way. Lately their reputation has been headed south with me, so I'll have to see if I can add this issue to the list.
                    Matt
                    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Working...
                    X