amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amazing

it still amazes me, 96,000 miles later, everytime I am ready to ride, I hit the starter, and my '79 XS is ready to go wherever I please....love it. Later 'Dog

Awesome! Glad to hear you love her!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, I do. even better, as the 2nd owner, I've had the pleasure of riding her the last 85,000 miles.....love it. Later 'Dog

Comment

hope to get there

only 20.000 on mine and need rings and pistons and want to make a road trip soon....any leads to pistons and gaskets...reasonable....found kits over 500.00 from wiseco and 300.00 labor but didnt give but 650..00 for the bike...but it had been sitting to case the rings to seize and now may have to bore another 200 .......who KNOWS.....GUMP
        windjammer gump
        bikes now own
        1981xs1100sh special
        1971 cb 350
        mini chopper project
        bikes use to own
        1978 750/four..
        1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

How many miles have YOU put on it since you got it?
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

85,000...Had her cruising on 110 yesterday, with plenty more left...no bs. Later 'Dog

Comment

sorry about your bike gump, but don't really know nay more places to get parts, other than whats listed on the forum. Later 'Dog

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
                only 20.000 on mine and need rings and pistons and want to make a road trip soon....any leads to pistons and gaskets...reasonable....found kits over 500.00 from wiseco and 300.00 labor but didnt give but 650..00 for the bike...but it had been sitting to case the rings to seize and now may have to bore another 200 .......who KNOWS.....GUMP
                Probably cheaper to get a good engine than to rebuild what you got. That or to get a good set of pistons and jugs and then just new rings. I picked up a replacement engine from mine for 99 with about 50 for shipping and I've put about 20,000 on it since installing it (had bad rod knock on the original because of washed out bearings on the original after over 100,000 miles and leaking carbs because of rusted out tank and no filters). Then I got a deal on another engine for the cost of gas for the guy to drop it off on the way somewhere else (he had to go out of his way to drop it off) so I have another backup now as well.

Unless you really WANT the overbore for the performance, It's not worth spending the money on it IMHO over picking up a good running engine.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by windjammergump View Post
                  hi gump,
                  what makes u think u need pistons?
                  u can get cheap oversize rings on ebay for $40,
                  and a gasket kit for around $100 a good clean up
                  of the head and a hone of the cylinders and u should be good to go,
                  especially if u have only 20,000k's on the clock

or

u could stick some marvel mystery oil (i think thats it) in the cylinders
                  and let it sit for a bit and then give the bike a good run ( a cpl of 100 miles)
                  and see how that goes, might free up any sticking rings, tho it wont help
                  if u have buggered valve guide seals.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

find an engine donor

[QUOTE=windjammergump;319970]only 20.000 on mine and need rings and pistons and want to make a road trip soon....any leads to pistons and gaskets...

Time for an engine transplant. You'll be up and running faster, and that engine you take out will help fill all that empty space in your garage. Worked for me with the three-piston powerplant I took out of the current project bike (piston #1 reduced to aluminum nuggets in the oil pan) and gave me lots of extra trim parts in case of road rash.
                    Jeff
                    80 XS1100G - running great
                    79 XS1100F - sticky slide awaiting attention
                    84 V30 Magna - too small for my long legs

Comment

Working...
                    X