backfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backfire

I have an 83 1100 maxim problem number 2 and 4 are backfiring throught carbs not a constance happening but does it a lot have played with timing have cleaned and recleaned carbs after market 4 into one pipes rejetted stage 3 with cone filters
    83 1100 maxim
    4 into 1 mac
    stage one jet 128
    pod filters

What are the Jet's you have in it and what do your plugs look like?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Nate,

I think he kinded hinted at that with the Stage 3...Dyna Jet Kit?

However, he didn't mention having done the cam chain tensioner adjustment, and if the chain has gotten some slack, it can throw off the timing a bit and can cause the little carb burps.

Also, "BCMaxim", you didn't state WHEN these burps occur, but I would believe that it's in the lower rpms like when you're trying to take off or accel from idle or low rpm!?

I've read from others that the Stage 3 is a bit much especially if it's an otherwise stock engine, no rebore.

But yes, the plug color can also help to determine if you're running a bit rich overall!? Are they black/sooty, or bleach white, or somewhere in between?

You also described cleaning the carbs, but want to make sure you have access to the PILOT JET Screws on the top front of the carbs, that they are not still plugged with the OEM brass cap. Also, have you actually Vacuum synched the carbs!?

ALSO, what kind of POD filters?? There are cheap ones with a prominent lip on the inner mounting edge that can interfere with the air flow thru the ports and such!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

plugs are all a nice light brown to grayish tan 138 jets
        83 1100 maxim
        4 into 1 mac
        stage one jet 128
        pod filters

Comment

they are cheaper type so to speak but have made stacks so that air flow is clear and clean and I have access to air fuel screws
          83 1100 maxim
          4 into 1 mac
          stage one jet 128
          pod filters

Comment

have also done the chain tensor mines leaking a bit of oil and going to be fixing that but more worryed about enigine back fire throu the carbs than a little oil

yes in the low rpm on idle and accelatration the most almost sluggish till it opens up in the 3500 plus range but plugs are good in color on idle color test
            83 1100 maxim
            4 into 1 mac
            stage one jet 128
            pod filters

Comment

I do agree that the stage 3 is usually a bit much for a stock engine, and people that I have seen use it either go back to a stage 1 or buy different stock carbs. Like TC asked, are the low idle adjustment screws still covered or is the cap removed? Have you synced them?
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

you are talking about the air fuel mixer screws on engine side of the carbs right and yes they are open its running a touch lean but not really lean the plugs show a nice color

Im going to start looking a valve adjustment I think and might conceder stepping back to stage one
                83 1100 maxim
                4 into 1 mac
                stage one jet 128
                pod filters

Comment

Working...
                X