No announcement yet.

aligning forks... HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me ask one more question; when you checked the fork tubes, were they just the bare tubes, or were you just checking what was sticking out of the slider? The only way to accurately check these is with the forks fully disassembled. They may be bent worse than you think.

I'm not saying you don't have a bent tree too, but any bent parts in the front forks/trees is a bad thing...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I checked just the part that was sticking out. I got these forks off eBay, they didn't take the crash. The bend is very slight and doesn't change the difference. I took the triple off today and that is tweaked. When I put it flat so the stem is standing up there is a slight wobble that moves the top of the stem 1/4". I am going to order a tree today.
      1980 XS1100SG
      1998 KLR 650

Comment

Check out Andreas Weiss for parts before ordering anything off Ebay.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32072

He had set of forks last week, and he's usually got lots of other parts as well.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          Check out Andreas Weiss for parts before ordering anything off Ebay.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32072

He had set of forks last week, and he's usually got lots of other parts as well.
          I don't think those would have worked bot if he has a left sidecover for an 80 special then let me know.
          1980 XS1100SG
          1998 KLR 650

Comment

Forks might not have, but he's likely go a lower tree that will. Side covers with an intact lock post are as rare as rocking horse doo doo, but they can be got. Drop Andreas a PM and he'll soon let you know what he's got. He's been the saviour of many XSessives here, including me.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
            X