Carb boots........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb boots........

Its gonna be a long spring........ I got my XS11 back together tonight and poured some gas in the tank to fire it up and check for leaks and see how well its gonna run (I had to rebuild my petcocks,replace my fuel lines and did some work on the age old timing advance wires) and after a couple turns away it went, stuttered alittle at first but not too bad. After I let it warm up I gave it a little gas to hear my favorite sound and I heard a bad stutter and that ticking that you get out of cars when the intakes sucking air.......I looked down just in time to see a flash of light in the Carb-Head boot.... put my finger on the spot and felt it sucking, and the bike ran better....has anyone had any luck putting a sealer on their boots to seal up small cracks or am I just better off buying a new set? Also does anyone have a set out there they would like to get rid of? Im hoping to get all my troubles out of the way so i can put the miles on this summer without worrying (Ive got enough stress, my destresser cant start causing it too )
    Abe
    1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
    poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

ive never tried sealer on my carb boots but i have tried sealer on car vaccum hoses and they never work, i need to get some bots for mine as well theyre not overly expensive on ebay
    1981 XS1100LH
    1995 Tomos Targa Moped

Comment

I pulled mine and covered them in black RTV. Hard part was cleaning off the old gasket from the head and making new gaskets. Applied Indian Head Gasket sealer and seems alright. Next time I'll just order the new ones on eBay for $100. Gaskets and all..

Need to soak the boots in HOT soapy water (Dawn Dishsoap) and scrub with a green Scotchbrite pad. Rinse well and dry. Wash a few times. Helps the black RTV stick better.

1989 Ford Mustang 2.3L thermostat housing gaskets will work with some aggressive edge trimming. They only seal about 2MM so you need to be VERY careful when re-installing.
      1) Fire up Internet Explorer
      2) http://www.yahoo.com
      3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
      4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

No need for the gaskets on those, just use high temp RTV on them to seal them, makes it easier to clean up if you pull them off, and you don't have to find and trim something that doesn't quite fit anyways either. That or just use yamabond which will work very well to seal that part up quite well.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

There have been a few people who have used an RTV sealant on the boots. Do a search, you should find a write up someone did about it. They looked really good in comparison.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

If you can afford it, replace the boots and be done with it. Sirius Consolidated Inc. has a set for $65. You can't beat that!
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I reently refurbished my carb boots with Plasti-Dip and it worked just fine. Had a bit of a time finding it in black and nearly had to go with red or yellow - YUK! Plasti-Dip is the same material you find on handles of pliers, etc. Available at ACE Hardware and some Home Hardware stores in Canada.
              1980 XS 1100 Special
              Mostly stock & original
              Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
              Torpedo bags
              New paint (still) pending
              Stainless brake lines
              Tkat forkbrace
              Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
              1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
              1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

thats a really good idea...... I will have to keep that in mind for future problems with weather cracking and what not, thanks for all the advice guys, I Ordered a set last night and hopefully will be seeing them early next week, snowing here now......so Ive got time
                Abe
                1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
                poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

Comment

Working...
                X