Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to install throttle lock, which ones work on a XS11

Hello,
    I want to install a trottle lock for cruise control on my special. I cannot find any listed for my bike anywhere. What brand/part number trottle locks do you have on your bikes? any info would help ease the wrist stress as i roll away the miles.
    thanks, ride safe
    Bill Woods
    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Seems to me that NEP made one that will fit the XS; I have one on the XJ. Single-throttle cable type. Model was #2 or #22, can't remember which. Have posts of this in my e-mail at home, will try to find them and confirm the model, but definitly NEP brand.

On the XJ I had to slide the handgrip to the outside of the bar about 1/4 - 3/8 inch. Mechanism fits between the mirror mount and the inside edge of the grip. Throttle lock is an adjustable clamp with a fnger lever to release it; takes an allen wrench to adjust the tension. Took me a few tries to get it right where throttle would not slip under vibration but not so tight it deformed the plastic 'barrel' under the grip. Now in my 3rd year of use, and I wouldn't take a long trip without it or an electronic cruise control.

I prefer the lock to the rocker, as with the lock you can take you hand off the bars. I frequently drive one-handed to give either the left and right hands a break.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Wish I could think of the name of the throttle lock on my XJ...
      I'll post it if I remember....

BUT, its actuating lever is ergonomically better than the NEP.
      I have a NEP on my Bandit, don't like it near as much as
      the ???? on my XJ.

AHHH Vista Cruise
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I have an old Competition Accessories catalog that lists the Vista Cruise Control, and the Universal Vista Cruise control. Their website lists only the Universal Vista cruise control. Go to www.competitionaccessories.com then search for Vista or cruise control. $28.99

This old catalog (not the website) also lists a Throttlemeister Cruise control that looks like a bar end. From $100.00

I am sure you can search the web for other places.

Hope this helps.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

How about full blown electronic cruise control for about $120 bucks and a bit of work? Did it to my Valk, and it is motorcycle cruise control greatness . . . Also did it to my buddy's 81 'Wing. Works great!

Cruise on the Valk

There is a link on my page to David Sprouls website where he has instructions for doing this to an XS.
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I have a vista cruise on my XS, I had the foam grips with chrome ends and it had to be modifed somewhat to work, but it looks and workd great.

I will try to get a picture of it.

Gary
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I have a TL, don't know what brand, but it is all chrome metal. It worked fine, but I didn't like the way it rubbed on the throttle when not in use. I don't use it anymore and it is off the bike. I can take a picture if your interested, email me. Also, you can do what I accidentally stumbled on to. When I put my new grips on, I pushed the throttle grip on too far, so the plastic thing wouldn't fit into the right side controls. I couldn't push it back very far, so its a tight fit. It will hold itself in place for up to a mile. Handy for little breaks. Otherwise, the throttle rolls smoothly, just not as "springy" as a new bike. I kinda like it!

Dameron
              80sg "Reaper"

Comment

I purchased an electronic cruise control off eBay, have not had the time to put it on yet, but will document the process as I go along. Plan to use a cruise control vacuum pump from a SAAB as the vacuum source; will hide the pump in the Vetter fairing.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

cruise control

well im saving for one.. sounds like vista cruise is a cadillac model of what i had on my xs650 special 2,

but it was black plastic, with an allen screw.. shucks wish i still had it now...lol
                  jeff "Wags"
                  Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
                  79sf rusty
                  79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

I use the NEP throttle lock. It has a two settings in either direction: firm lock and looser lock. There was no trimming required as it fits between the grip and the Right control assembly. Instead of gripping the handlebar grip, it grips on the white plastic sleeve.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

hey,
                      skids do you happen to know the part number for the N.E.P. throttle lock? hope so. let me know if you can.
                      Gary, i am looking forward to the picture of your setup. can we post pics in here?
                      thanks for the feedback
                      Bill Woods
                      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                        I use the NEP throttle lock. It has a two settings in either direction: firm lock and looser lock. There was no trimming required as it fits between the grip and the Right control assembly. Instead of gripping the handlebar grip, it grips on the white plastic sleeve.
                        Those two settings are supposed to be 'firm lock' and
                        'no lock'. You need to file/sand/grind away some of the
                        interior diameter so you get snappy release when the
                        throttle lock is 'off'. You should be able to 'blip' the throttle
                        as if no lock was installed when the lock lever is up.

This is true for ALL sub-$30 throttle locks, they need
                        some tweaking - BTDT

Comment

I use it as firm lock and loose lock. The no lock position is right in the middle. I like loose lock because it is easy and quick to unlock with a flip of the thumb and in a panic move, it is still easy enough to twist the throttle under the light pressure. Sorry, I could not find a model number on either lock.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Not sure I understand ....

Up is no lock, down is lock. So you have a loose lock maybe
                            in the middle somewhere???

The lever as it is moved down grabs the throttle assembly, so I
                            really don't see how 'no lock' could be in the middle...

Illuminate me please?

Comment

Yes, the neutral position is in the center and the loose lock is one position either up or down from that, and the firm lock is either all the way up or all the way down. (at least, that is the way I use it)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Hart
                              [B]Not sure I understand ....

Up is no lock, down is lock. So you have a loose lock maybe
                              in the middle somewhere???
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                              X