electrolysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrolysis

So I'm trying to electrocute some bolts, battery box and I'm sure some other things that will piss me off along the way. My research shows that the batter charger to be used should be a manual machine instead of automatic. Guess what. Yup, you guessed it.

Is there an option or a way around the the fact that my automatic charger doesn't work? (Without having to buy a new one)

I read some where, damned if I can find it now, that the charger could be connected to a battery and the battery connected to the anode and cathode of the electrolysis set up.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Bob
    1979 XS1100F

and another thing.....

I'm using a piece of rebar as the electrode. Can the electrode be too big?
    1979 XS1100F

Comment

rebar

I think the surface area is what matters, not the actual size - more surface area is better.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

The rebar is to small. There really isn't enough surface area there, you need a sheet of metal.

I think someone did put a battery in line somewhere to trick the charger. Don't know how thoigh.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE
          Is there an option or a way around the the fact that my automatic charger doesn't work? (Without having to buy a new one)

I read some where, damned if I can find it now, that the charger could be connected to a battery and the battery connected to the anode and cathode of the electrolysis set up.

Thoughts?

Thanks
          Bob[/QUOTE]

Yep, the wonders of technology. The modern chargers have chips in them that sense the condition of the battery, and if the voltage is too low, the charger won't turn on, and burn itself up trying to charge a shorted cell.
          So take a good battery, from the garden tractor, the motor scooter, the wave runner, anything that is twelve volts, and hook the charger to it. You can even use the car battery, with jumper cables. Does the charger come on, great. Now hook some wires to your work piece, and if there is an indicator of how many amps the charger is putting out, the difference between the number it read before you hooked the work up and what it reads after you hook the work up is how many amps you are putting through the work.
          Adjust your solution ph accordingly. CZ

Comment

Working...
          X