Clutch slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping

I just bought an 82 XJ 1100. It's my first bike, i've been riding friends for a couple of years. My question is: the clutch is slipping around 5500 rpm or so, mainly when i'm running it fast. (kind of sucks because that the start of the power band, or it feels like it) anyway...I've heard the talks about the oil -> so i put Yamalube 10-30 with a new filter, it still slips. The clutch cable adjustment is all the way out (can't take up any more slack) when I release the clutch the lever is a little over half way out before I start to take off. Is this normal? I've read all the topics so far none of them sound like my problem, or did I just skip one? I'm thinking I need to replace the clutch(s)? Please send HELP!!! thanks in advance for your help.
    "Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features."

Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle

Hey there Chad,

Did you do a search for threads about Clutch Adjustment? Also, check the tech tips. Where you are adjusting it at the handlebar is only for the handle feel, the real adjustment is under the right hand engine cover where the cable goes to the clutch actuating arm. Adjust it there properly, and then see if it slips, if so, and you're running Dino juice, then you probably are due for new plates! Sorry can't type more, getting ready for Ga. Rally.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

clutch slippage

My xs1100 did this. I was horrified because it had good springs in the clutch.
      Make sure your springs are the right length - as specified in the manual. A full set is usually very inexpensive.
      You have to get a gasket for the side cover, drain the oil and get a new lockwasher for the clutch nut.
      Take the clutch plates out and measure them with a micrometer. I'll wager they are too thin. Inspect the steel plates and look for damage. Shine it all up and put it back in.
      It takes a couple of hours becuse you have to soak the new clutch discs in oil. https://www.partsnmoreonline.com/PNM...e%20parts.html Will sell you a full set of clutch plates for $32.00 including shipping.
      [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

I have not had to do any clutch work, but I like morticiaann's avatar....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

TopCatGr58 thanks for your advice, I looked for an extra adjustment but I didn't see anything. The cable runs from the lever on the bars down under the gas tank and then to the tranny. The only part of the cable I didn't see is under the gas tank. I don't think the adjustment is under there or is it? thanks for your advice again...
          "Normal people ... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features."

Comment

I"ll agree with you on that Jerry

Comment

Chad

Loosen your clutch cable up at the bars, follow it down to the Tranny, now remove the side cover where the cable goes. You should see a locking nut with a slotted bolt in the middle of it.Hold the bolt with your screwdriver and unlock the nut, then turn the screw till you feel it go snug,back it off 1/4 turn,hold it there as u lock the nut! Adjustment done. Now go to your bars and adjust the free play in the cable till you have between 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch , if that doesnt work you might need a clutch or maybe just springs which are quite cheap HTH....MITCH
              Doug Mitchell
              82 XJ1100 sold
              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Mich

I'll try that...thanks. It looks like a good weekend to play around I hope I can get this fixed before its to cold.

Comment

Cable

Chad just make sure your cable is free too , not sticking or binding in any way while you have the side cover off................MITCH
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey Chad,
                    Mine starts to engage long before the levers half way out. I would say that mines about 1/4. It's possible that mine is a little "loose", but the bike doesn't pull with the clutch in. I've messed around with it enough to know that I can't go much further out on the lever adj. before I get slippage on the top end.
                    Matt
                    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Working...
                    X