Quick Release Seat Bolt Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick releases cheap?

You may want to ask the bike shops for the cheapo steel ones, there are some that are light and they are expensive. Nashbar and or ebay may be the way to get cheap ones if the bike shops want a lot of money.

If you get them for free, that bike shop must be in a high crime area, cuzz most people around here, dont trade in QR s, they tend to do the opposite if they just have a bolt. QRs just make it easy to steal bicycle seats if youre in a bad area.
    Bikes Now.
    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

Originally posted by yamtom View Post
      You may want to ask the bike shops for the cheapo steel ones, there are some that are light and they are expensive. Nashbar and or ebay may be the way to get cheap ones if the bike shops want a lot of money.

If you get them for free, that bike shop must be in a high crime area, cuzz most people around here, dont trade in QR s, they tend to do the opposite if they just have a bolt. QRs just make it easy to steal bicycle seats if youre in a bad area.
      But that is what the quick releases are for, so you can take parts off when you leave it somewhere.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        But that is what the quick releases are for, so you can take parts off when you leave it somewhere.
        Begging the question.. 'How stupid are you gonna look carrying your XS11 seat under your arm through the shopping mall'

Not to mention all the xposed bits on the bike in the parking lot....

Maybe the bolts are best left alone (sorry, cant add smilies when editing original post)
        Last edited by b.walker5; 04-14-2011, 04:10 PM.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          Begging the question.. 'How stupid are you gonna look carrying your XS11 seat under your arm through the shopping mall'

Maybe the bolts are best left alone (sorry, cant add smilies when editing original post)
          I was meaning when they are on a bicycle, not used for the seat because the quick releases are from a bicycle.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post

Sure you can, just click on the "go advanced" button which takes you back to the original editor, but be fast cause you don't have much time. You can also just memorize the codes for them and type them in manually and it does the same thing, but CRS makes that difficult for me.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well, I live in Chicago proper, which is a high crime area, compared to most places. I don't really worry about my motorcycle, because it's old enough that the professional bike thieves aren't interested, and typically people won't mess with a motorcycle on the street. It tends to be a great way to get the crap kicked out of you, or worse.

On bicycles, QR's can be handy for removing parts if your leaving your bike at say the subway station all day, but if your bike isn't too pricey, then a traditional bolt is usually enough of a deterrent. Besides, if someone wants to steal something, there's really no way to stop them if they're determined enough.

It's basically a crap shoot in the city.
              Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
              (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                Sure you can, just click on the "go advanced" button which takes you back to the original editor, but be fast cause you don't have much time. You can also just memorize the codes for them and type them in manually and it does the same thing, but CRS makes that difficult for me.
                Ok, I stand corrected, but it sounds far too complicated for me.. Have you ever googled CRS acronyms?? Mind boggling, and I've forgotten most of them already..

I knew what you meant Nate, I was just being flippant. We need a smilie with a 'tounge in check'.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                X