Quick Release Seat Bolt Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Release Seat Bolt Mod.

So, I did Hired Goon's Quick Release Seat Bolt Mod. and I just wanted say what a great this idea is. As a result, I have made a point of looking at all the Tech Tips on the site a lot more carefully. I would encourage all newer users to do the same. There's a lot of great stuff to be found.

It's also nice, not having to carry a wrench around in my jacket anymore. Every time I felt it in my front pocket, I couldn't help but think of how much it would hurt to land on that thing at speed.

There are two ideas I had about the mod.
    The first is that, if you go to your local bicycle shop, they will likely have a box of new unwanted quick release bolts lying around, and will probably let you have a pair for free. The reason is that a lot of people prefer a traditional nut and bolt for there seat posts, and usually have the shop swap them out when the buy the bike. I went to my buddy's shop and he tried to get me to take the whole box! This will save you about 20 bucks.
    The second is that HG suggested using a spacer with the bolt, I drilled out the aluminum nut that comes with the quick release and used that as my spacer, it's width helps to keep a firm hold on the frames seat brackets and they don't go to waste.

For anyone who hasn't checked this mod out here's the link...
    http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...-bolt-mod.html
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

I just can't find those things anywhere to do the mod.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate,
      Like I said, hit your local bicycle shop. The bolts in question are used to keep the seat post in place, and the quick release makes it easy to slide down to fit your bike in the car, or to pull the seat off when your locking it up for the day.
      Pat K

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

I have a set of those on my old Mongoose mountain bike. I should just use those but I kinda want to fix that to ride. Gas here is 4 bucks a gallon... I can only imagine what it's like outside the midwest lol I know someone with a bike shop, I will try there. Chances are you are right lol
        Current Rides, Restorations, and Projects:
        1979 XS1100SF with 6400 original miles
        1991 Nissan 240SX with RB25DET swap
        1996 Honda Accord F22B build
        1983 Mazda RX-7 stripped out
        2000 Ford Expedition 5.4L

Previous rides:
        2004 Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster Roadster
        1992 Ford Tempo with a 1994 Ford Taurus front end (drinker's car)
        1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE
        2002 Ford Focus ZTS
        1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, 270 HP 318/A727 auto tranny

If it ain't broke, make it faster...

Comment

It occurred to me that if you do go to the bicycle shop, you should mention that you want to use them on your motorcycle. A. The bike shop guy won't feel like he's giving you a part for your bicycle, that he could be selling to you, B. Bike shop mechanics like to tinker and mod stuff too, and C. Motorcycles are cool.
          Pat K

Comment

Originally posted by rb240tuner View Post
            Gas here is 4 bucks a gallon...
            Awww, quit ya whinin'

Gas is $2.20 a litre here, or $8.36 a US gallon and $9.90 an Imperial gallon. At todays exchange rate thats USD $6.45 a US gallon, and $7.75 an Imperial gallon.

I'm still ridin', only just, but still ridin'. Cars parked up though. It's got a 70 litre fuel tank..

Good mod on the seat, havent seen that one before.. Might have to check the Tech tips more often.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              Awww, quit ya whinin'

Gas is $2.20 a litre here, or $8.36 a US gallon and $9.90 an Imperial gallon. At todays exchange rate thats USD $6.45 a US gallon, and $7.75 an Imperial gallon.

I'm still ridin', only just, but still ridin'. Cars parked up though. It's got a 70 litre fuel tank..

Good mod on the seat, havent seen that one before.. Might have to check the Tech tips more often.

and i thought we had it bad here at $1.55 a litre.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I tried this mod a year or so ago, and it wouldn't work. I went to a local bike shop (actually several, since the first few didn't have any of those levers) and got the levers for about $10 each! The one and only problem with it is that the distance that the levers clamp down is not enough to compress the rubber seat dampers and make a solid clamp. As soon as I say down on the seat (compressing the dampers even more), the clamps let go.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I did this mod a few years back, and it took some experimentation, but the bolts that come with the levers have to be altered (shortened) to make this mod work.
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I blame the beer not the clamps...

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    As soon as I say down on the seat (compressing the dampers even more), the clamps let go.

Bug,
                    Your issue may be the same as mine - too many beers!

I will try this mod after I lose a few pounds then....

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                      Awww, quit ya whinin'

I'm not whining, I know most other countries pay more, but he's whining about $4 a gallon and we are at $4.40 for Reg and I'm paying $4.50 for mid grade which is what Brutus insists he wants or he complains (so he generally gets what he wants). It's still sticker shock for me though, cause I remember going down to get gas for the lawn mower at .35 gallon and I remember my folks filling the car for .25 a gallon and the guy did the filling, checked the oil and belts and such, check the tire pressure and washed all the windows as well. Now we pay over $4 a gallon and are lucky if they provide the water and a squeegee so we can wash our own windows, and you have to pay for the air if your tires are low, and of course check your own oil (they did charge of course if your oil was low even back then, and it wasn't unheard of for some of them to cut fan belts or radiator hoses).
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It costs £1.40 a litre in the UK. That's US $ 2.27 a litre.....
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I tried this mod a year or so ago, and it wouldn't work. I went to a local bike shop (actually several, since the first few didn't have any of those levers) and got the levers for about $10 each! The one and only problem with it is that the distance that the levers clamp down is not enough to compress the rubber seat dampers and make a solid clamp. As soon as I say down on the seat (compressing the dampers even more), the clamps let go.
                          Having the vetter bags, carrying a socket and ratchet for the seat isn't a big deal for me anyways. I just keep it in there with the rest of my home made toolkit that I carry with me, that includes my tire plugging kit. I just need to add a small compressor to the kit now. I can see this mod being of use to naked riders, but us fully dressed riders have much less use for it, since I don't think I could get to the quick release levers without removing the bags anyways.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well Bug, I'm 6'5" tall and weigh in at over 3 bills and I haven't had a problem with it yet, I find that you can actually get quite a bit of torque on these bolts. For me it has actually been more reliable than the original seat bolts. This may be due to the fact that loosening, and tightening the original seat bolts bugged the crap out of me, and I probably didn't do it as carefully as I could have. Using the quick release is actually fun in comparison. I look forward to taking the seat off now. I guess it's that sense of satisfaction you get from using something you've made.
                            In any case it's easily reversible, and if you can score a pair for free, then no harm done.
                            I think it's easier to score them for free or for a buck or two now, because they've fallen out of favor with cyclists in recent years.
                            Pat K

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                              It costs £1.40 a litre in the UK. That's US $ 2.27 a litre.....
                              Now thats expensive gas, equates to $2.88 over here, but the fuel companies (mostly BP) are saying that we'll see three bucks a litre before the end of the year.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack.
                              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
                              X