idle rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle rpm

My70 F idles at 1100 RPM. wow what a coincidence. wht is the idle supposed to be and how can I change it.

between 900 and 1100 rpm, you can adjust with the idle screw - should be in the middle of the carbs - either pointing forward or back, prolly back though.

But, since 1100 is in spec, I'd leave it.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

The idle screw for a model F is between Nos. 2 and 3 carbs, angled up and towards the seat. Looking down on the knob, clock-wise will increase idle speed. The location is a bitch. Use a flashlight and a long flat-tipped screwdriver.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

On my 80G...same direction idle screw I believe...I found that if I used a long flat and narrow strap of some sort I could wrap it around the head if the screw and pull with one hand or the other to make the screw go clockwise or counter clock wise. This has always worked no matter how hot the motor got. The first time I did it I used an old flat two wire extension cord to do this. It was just the right width and rigid enough to apply pressure to the screw without stretching. When you burn the back of your hand enough times then you start to look for better ways......Good Luck!

Comment

Wierd .... I just use my fingers
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
          X