No announcement yet.

Pod question, yeah I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your jetting is pretty close, especially since it will run without the filters. Sounds to me like your filters are too restrictive. I ran into this on a KZ900, albeit a slightly different filter. The filter simply would not flow enough air at WOT to keep it going. Changed air filter type and it worked fine.

Possible causes are over-oiling the filter (if you used oil), blocked filter, too much media or the like. I run the same filters as you. I clean and oil them about twice a year, but they do not work well if over oiled.

Again, if it runs without the pods, I agree with you that your jetting is fine. I would not change the jetting to compensate for this problem. Try cleaner or different filters first, and see what happens.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Mikes pods

Originally posted by bigzack View Post
      - - - I ordered the Mike's XS pods tonight - - -
      Hi Zack,
      I have MikesXS pods on my XS11SG and (with the caveat that I ride like a fat old man) they don't seem to affect the performance any.
      What has happened is that one of my pods fell off in the street so be careful to super clean the carb and the pod lip on install.
      And on my son's XS750, the cutesy chrome cover with XS on it disappeared from one of them. OK, it can be salvaged
      (temporarily with duct tape, permanently with epoxy & sheet metal) but the hole will suck unfiltered air from when the cap falls off until you notice that it's gone and fix it.
      I'm not saying don't use them, they look great and work OK.
      Just take care on install and keep an eye on them afterwards, is all.
      BTW, pretty bike. I see you have discarded the front fender. The XS11 fork is too flexy even with the fender's bracing effect. I'd advise installing a Tkat fork brace to fix that.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fork brace

I am actually in the process of fabricating a fork brace. I didn't know anyone had one available. Do you have a link or something? I'll search this site in the meantime and see if I can find any more info on that. Thanks.
        1979 XS1100 Mac 4-2, Mikes XS Pods, 142.5 mains 42.5 pilots

Comment

Originally posted by bigzack View Post
          I am actually in the process of fabricating a fork brace. I didn't know anyone had one available. Do you have a link or something? I'll search this site in the meantime and see if I can find any more info on that. Thanks.
          This is the Tkat brace link
          http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html
          82 XJ1100
          Regina,Saskatchewan,
          Canada

2006 V-Star 1100 custom

Comment

Very nice it looks very similar to the one Eagle Mike makes for the KLR650. Thanks for the link.

Comment

SH*T i just bought emgo pods for my 1980 xs11 ....Will i be blocking of any intakes on the newer style carbs?
              1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

I know the 1980 carbs are a little different than the '79 models but from what I have seen I think they will. You can try changing the boots like I did and see if it helps you but I just don't think the Emgos flow enough air.

Comment

Yes, all years get the same thing blocked, and both the early and late carbs have everything but the vent ports in pretty much the same places.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Update

Okay I got my Mike's XS pods installed today and took the bike out for a ride. Drum roll............. and I stil have the miss. Although it is much better than previously. I only get the miss if I hold it at WOT at 5000rpm when it starts to miss if I let off the throttle a little it powers right through. So now I'm thinking it is either float height, which I set at 25.5mm, or main jets which are 142.5. I think I will start with the float levels as they are easier to dial in than the mains. What are others running for float height? And what increments would I move them? If anyone has other ideas let 'em fly I'm open to suggestion. I did check the flow from each petcock and they are within a couple mls per min. so I think that should be close enough. I'm planning on replacing the plugs and doing some throttle chop tomorrow afternoon as I'm tied up in the morning.

Comment

hi bigzack,

that 5000rpm miss can be a little tricky, can either be the main jet (142.5 should be sweet tho with pod filters)
                      or the needle, from memory the needles are adj on the early
                      model carbs what have u got them set at?

with the floats heights ur slightly on the rich side, stock is 25.7, to see if there set correctly ride the bike in 5th gear at 2000rpm and then hit wot, the bike should pull nicely with out any lag or bogging down.
                      pete

new owner of
                      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                      zrx carbs
                      18mm float height
                      145 main jets
                      38 pilots
                      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

HERE is some great info on how to tune these carbs. What range each jet and part has the most effect on, and an order in which to proceed through selecting the right components.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

forgot to add,
                          u should clean/replace the spark plugs
                          after each change if they looked to be fouled up.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Needle clip

Great point Pete. I wasn't even thinking about the needle. I'll try moving it down a notch IIRC it is in the middle notch. Thanks for the link DGXSER it looks like it's pointing to needle position too. This is all great stuff, learning lots. If I can keep from getting arrested for blasting down the backroads while I'm "test riding" and tuning it'll be great.

Comment

Update

So I moved the clip on the needle one position up, it was centered. That didn't fix the problem it actually moved the stumble down from 5000rpm to 4000rpm. So I moved the clip down to one position below centered. That moved the stumble back up to 5000rpm. I changed the plugs and checked them after moving the clip down. They look lean, white. So now I am confused because it runs really well sans filters, so that would lead me to believe it is rich with filters, but the plugs show lean? I think I will try putting the stock 137.5 jets in and see what difference that makes before I order larger Main jets. If that doesn't cure it I'll order some larger mains (145) and see if that helps.

Comment

Very nice the blue makes it faster. Blue 79s are the fastest...
                                Also my mikes pods have been on there for several years with no issues.
                                You should get the gold valve cartridge emulators 150 bucks well spent. I have mine looking like a cafe racer and after the emulators it handles luke one.

Also my stock jets were 140 mains with 210 airjet and 45 pilots. Some 79s came with those. You can find the info in the parts fische. No stumble with the pods. But now I am running zrx carbs
                                Last edited by yamahansolo; 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM.
                                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                                8mm msd wires
                                tkat fork brace...
                                Fox shocks...
                                mikes650 front fender
                                led's gallore...
                                renthal bars
                                gold valve emulators
                                vmax tensioner
                                Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                                X