Pod question, yeah I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod question, yeah I know

Okay some history to start. I have a 1979 Standard, with a Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, and Emgo Pods. I rejetted the carbs 142.5 mains to compensate for the Exhaust and Pods. I did the Exhaust first and it ran really good with the stock airbox but wanted a little more umph and I figured Pods would help plus it would make it easier to get the carbs on and off. Well once I put the Pods on it started missing at 5000+ RPM and WOT. I pulled them off and looked at them closer and with the help of this site I found that they blocked part of the intake, but you probably already guessed that. I pulled the Pods off and ran it down the highway sans filters and Holy Smokes. It pulled like a freight train from 1000 to 8000 RPM. That's how I want it to run. So I pulled the Boots off of my airbox cut them down and used them as the boots for the Emgos. I figured this should be at least as good as the airbox, but no. It still misses at 5000+RPM and WOT. I pull the filters off and again it runs great. So I know the Pods are the problem. My question is if I switch to Mike's XS pods will they be better, and why? I am not interested in going back to the airbox. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Zack
    1979 XS1100 Mac 4-2, Mikes XS Pods, 142.5 mains 42.5 pilots

first off WELCOME TO CH11! best place for information when it come to the beloved xs1100. anyways yea with the emgo pods the block the air jet on the carb... but when u rejetted did u synchronize them afterward? if u whent up on the mains s u might want to go up on pilots as well.... here is a link to the jetting calculator http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382 hope this helps switching to mikes pods will help when it comes to no blocking the air jet. and it has the cool xs on them. but some saw they let to much air in. but sense u ran with the carb open ( be carefull there dont want dirt and bugs in your engine).
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

thats the million dollar question

Since you've worked around the only argument against the Emgo pods on earlier carbs with the vent holes, you've eliminated one variable from the equation. Lets eliminate more.

Was it resynched after this latest change of jets and pods? Maybe a mismatch in fuel between cyls?

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Resynch

I did resynch the carbs when I rejetted them. I did not go up on the pilots because I didn't go up very far on the mains, but I may go up on the pilots once I get the pods sorted. Like I say, without filters it runs great, so I think the jetting is real close.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          Since you've worked around the only argument against the Emgo pods on earlier carbs with the vent holes, you've eliminated one variable from the equation. Lets eliminate more.

Was it resynched after this latest change of jets and pods? Maybe a mismatch in fuel between cyls?

John
          I didn't think about mismatched fuel. I know I getting fuel from both petcocks and it appears to flow the same. I can get out my stop watch and graduated cylinder and check though. But if this was the case wouldn't it show up regardless of whether the Pods were on or off?

Comment

It may be the restriction of the lip in the emgo pods. The MikesXS pods don't have that problem so if it's running good without any filters it should do pretty well with the Mikes pods.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If it runs great up to and above 3k but starts the issues at about 5k, this points to the main jets. If it runs better with no filters than that would tend to suggest she is starving for air with the filters on. So my guess would be drop the mains a size and see what you get.

Also, try doing the throttle chop. Put new plugs in, rn it up to that 5k-6k mark and then cut the engine and coast to a stop. (don't do this often, but once or twice now and then for testing should not hurt anything). Now look at the plugs and see if they are clean abd white or even grey looking or if they are wet and black looking (or dry and black). Black would mean your running rich at the upper RPMs so drop the mains a size, white or grey is lean, jump the mains another size.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Pics

This may help clarify what I did.
                Stock Emgo

Boot from airbox

Cut Boot

Comparisons

Inserted into filter

Just to reiterate, this did not work for me so anyone in the future try at your own peril. As far as I can tell the throat where the boot goes into the filter has to be the restriction point. It is either that or the filter itself... or something else that I don't know yet Anyway I think I'm going to order me some Mike's XS pods and hope that cures it. I'm just nervous because I don't really understand why my "fix" didn't work. Oh well here's the bike before the pods.

Comment

Very nice! I like the paint.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    If it runs great up to and above 3k but starts the issues at about 5k, this points to the main jets. If it runs better with no filters than that would tend to suggest she is starving for air with the filters on. So my guess would be drop the mains a size and see what you get.

Also, try doing the throttle chop. Put new plugs in, rn it up to that 5k-6k mark and then cut the engine and coast to a stop. (don't do this often, but once or twice now and then for testing should not hurt anything). Now look at the plugs and see if they are clean abd white or even grey looking or if they are wet and black looking (or dry and black). Black would mean your running rich at the upper RPMs so drop the mains a size, white or grey is lean, jump the mains another size.
                    Would I do this with the filters on? And if so if the filters are restrictive wouldn't this show up as a rich also? And if I do it with the filters off would that be unrepresentatively lean? I'm not trying to be difficult just trying to understand. I'm up for trying both.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Very nice! I like the paint.
                      Thanks, this is what I started with.
                      Before

After

Comment

Do you still have the exhaust that it had when you got it?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

No it was completely rotted out underneath.

Comment

Hi bigzack, Nice ride. I don't know why no one else suggested this. And I'm no way a carb guru. But I do know that the pilot jet only works from idle to about 3-4 grand. After that its all in the mains. And you did what I would have done as well with using your old air boots. But if that thing runs that good without the pods. And runs like crap with them. The only thing that comes to my mind and it may be a waste of your time to do it but have you thought about washing your filters? I know your thinking they are new but maybe they are just dusty dirty or something. Thats the only thing I can think of. I'd wash them out and dry them really good and try them on without any oil on them. See what that does. Other wise I'd say buy the ones from mikes and hope and pray they work. Good Luck!
                            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

I'll try washing them out and do some throttle chops tomorrow and see what happens. I ordered the Mike's XS pods tonight so I might as well do some testing while I wait for those to show up.

Comment

Working...
                              X