Wrench sizes -XJ11 & probably XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrench sizes -XJ11 & probably XS11

I just bought a set of Armstrong reversible ratchet wrenches from 10mm through 19mm. I really like this kind of wrench & would like to get matching ones for whatever other values I'm going to run into on my XJ11. I know I'll need an 8mm & a 22mm but what other sizes if any on these bikes will I encounter? I'll probably be getting a XS11 along the way so I'll need whatever is required by both.

Thanks
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

22 is the axle nut correct? You need a torque wrench not a ratcheting wrench.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You will also need A 12mm a 14mm 17mm and 19mm. Also a 5mm allen wrench fits most of the engine covers. (valve cover, crankcase side covers) also the Handle bars if you still have the stock square bars.
      Rob
      82 XJ1100
      Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
      Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

10mm is the size for most of the small bolts on the XS.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          22 is the axle nut correct? You need a torque wrench not a ratcheting wrench.
          Hi Nate,
          that's as well as not instead of.
          A torque wrench is inescapably a big and clumsy thing and it's best use is on the final turn or so after spinning the fastener almost home with something handier.
          My thoughts on ratcheting wrenches is they're a great add-on to the usual socket set but their large head size stops them getting at a large minority of fasteners.
          One place they work great is pulling the front fender.
          No effin' way can you get a socket & ratchet in there so it's turn'n'flip'n'turn again with a box-end wrench.
          Or on with the ratcheting wrench, clicketyclick and it's off.
          I love 'em too.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, I have sockets and most of the tools that came with the yamaha toolkit. I've come to appreciate removing nuts and bolts with the ratchet sets. Nothing like a thin wall socket to get in-between a head and something immovable but most things aren't like that.

I bought a set of USA made Armstrong reversible ratchet wrenches that have all the sizes from 10mm-19mm. I just ordered a new 8mm Armstrong on fleabay for $8 which includes shipping.

I have a set of torque wrenches that cover all the inch-pounds & foot pounds the bikes will require so for final torque I'll use those.

I long ago came to understand the right tool pays for itself immediately...
            82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi Nate,
              that's as well as not instead of.
              A torque wrench is inescapably a big and clumsy thing and it's best use is on the final turn or so after spinning the fastener almost home with something handier.
              My thoughts on ratcheting wrenches is they're a great add-on to the usual socket set but their large head size stops them getting at a large minority of fasteners.
              One place they work great is pulling the front fender.
              No effin' way can you get a socket & ratchet in there so it's turn'n'flip'n'turn again with a box-end wrench.
              Or on with the ratcheting wrench, clicketyclick and it's off.
              I love 'em too.
              My torque wrench is also a ratchet as well, so I can use it as both rather than have to switch half way through the job.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
              X