Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a front right cailper for sale? Or know where to get a rebuild kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have a front right cailper for sale? Or know where to get a rebuild kit?

I have a 78 xs that I have been trying to make road worthy. Today I decided to work on the brakes. When I bought the bike it was sitting outside and at the time the front brakes were frozen. So today my focus was fixing those. When I took off the front right there was brake fluid everywhere inside around the piston. I could possibly rebuild it, but wasn't able to find a kit. Any help? Also I never rebuilt a caliper before. Is there any threads on how to? Thanks
    '78E

As to the kits, look on ebay. A seller by the name of Georgefix usually has all the rebuild kits for XS11. Good fellow to deal wiht also.

As to the procedure, the calipers are very simple and basic. First is to get the piston out of the caliper. Pull the c-clip holding the dust seal on and remove the dust seal. Since you have the caliper off the bike, you will want to try either compressed air or the grease gun technique.

For compressed air, just pull the banjo bolt out (the one holding the brake line on) and take your compressed air gun, I take a piece of rubber and poke the nozzel throughit so it makes a good seal and push it into the hole where the banjo bolt was. Now put a rag or towel or something in front of the piston, and make sure your fingers are NOT in front of the piston. Put the compressed air to that hole and the piston will pop out like a rocket, thus the reason for the rag and not your fingers there, it would mash your fingers into pieces.

For the grease gun method, put a regular bolt in the hole where the banjo was (one with no holes in it), and open the bleeder valve, now put your grease gun nozzle over the bleeder and pump the grease in and let it push the piston out.

Once you have the piston out, remove the rubber seal inside, it is square in cross section. Now you have a completely disassemble caliper, not alot to them. Clean out the caliper and the piston and make certain to get the slot that seal sits inside of REALLY clean. The gunk that builds up in there is the primary reason the pistons freeze out and won't move. Then clean it all with a dab of brake fluid, lube the seal with the brake fluid, and reassemble.

Repeat for the other side, and then pull the Master Cylinder off and clean it as well.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I have a pair of OEM Yamaha caliper kits that will fit a 78, part # 1J3-W0047-00. I will let you have them for $40.00 shipped. Let me know and I'll send you a PM with payment info.

Thanks,
      Larry
      Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
      82 XJ1100
      80 XS1100G (Project bike)
      64 Yamaha YA-6
      77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
      See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Heck yeah, my buddy from cincy is coming through again for me. thanks for the instructions, sounds easy. And also I will take you up on that offer larry. Send me your info and I will send a payment this coming weekend. Thanks for the help again. Im sure ill be posting more.
        '78E

Comment

I have a spare set of handlebars and master cylinder. I just hook up the brakeline and caliper to the MC, bleed it, which is a cinch, and pump it on out. You could also do this with the MC on your handlebars.

I found this worked best for me.

I dismantled about three sets of calipers and all but one had corroded pistons at the seal. Those can be had for about $25 from the aftermarket part folks.The seals themselves can usually be reused but replacement kits are available.

Once the calipers are completely dismantled its not too difficult to clean them up. be sure to get all the crud out of the seal seats. I use a small screwdriver for that.
          Darrell
          78E
          80G project
          06FJR

Comment

Working...
          X