Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which specific flasher for LED conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which specific flasher for LED conversion?

I searched the threads, and there is soooo much material on the subject, it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack, so I'm just going to ask it again.

I just swapped out all four of my 1156 turn signal bulbs with the super bright led right angle amber LED replacement bulbs.

I knew my 2 prong thermal flasher wouldn't work, so I bought an electronic 2 prong flasher which worked fine with the regular bulbs, but when I swapped in the LED's it no longer worked, apparently it still needed a higher amp draw, than the LED's pulled, to work.

So, I bought a 3 prong variable load electronic flasher relay, thinking that it wouldn't care about the amps being drawn but it still didn't work, no matter how I hooked it up.

I saw mention of a digital flasher in one of the previous threads, but it had no name or model number, and the link in the post was no longer functional.

So, specifically what flashers, have the guys with LED signal bulbs, used?
    What exactly are they called? Brand names, model numbers, and sources would be appreciated.
    Also, I'm aware of the load resistor option, but that of course would negate the purpose of using the LED's to reduce power draw, so those are off the table.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Last edited by patk12345; 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
    (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

What you are looking for is a no load flasher the super bright led web site should have one. I don't have a exact model and make but hope this helps. Did a little searching and found this one. Should work for you. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FS-1-FLAT.html
    Last edited by trdriver71; 04-08-2011, 10:46 PM.
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

@trdriver71
      Thank you!
      Pat K

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Originally posted by patk12345 View Post
        - - - I just swapped out all four of my 1156 turn signal bulbs with the super bright led right angle amber LED replacement bulbs. - - -
        Hi Pat,
        I hope you find a flasher that works for you, but I wonder, why bother with LED flasher bulbs anyway?
        Yes, ordinary bulbs suck up power but flashers are only drawing power when they are actually working and I don't see them sucking the battery flat for that very reason.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just ordered one of these off of Amazon, hopefully it will do the trick!

Pat K

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Pat,
            I hope you find a flasher that works for you, but I wonder, why bother with LED flasher bulbs anyway?
            Yes, ordinary bulbs suck up power but flashers are only drawing power when they are actually working and I don't see them sucking the battery flat for that very reason.
            Well, actually, I'm doing the taillight as well, I mainly drive in the city and, unfortunately, sit in a lot of stop and go traffic, and a lot of milk runs with multiple starts in a single trip. Me and the bump start are far too well acquainted. I'm just not always getting the charging time I need, so every watt saved helps. I also bought a new battery, and have been reading up on some of the other power saving/ improved generating options on the forum.
            Pat K

Comment

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website...

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/cat...-Fixed-Flasher
              Pat K

Comment

I just swapped out all four of my 1156 turn signal bulbs with the super bright led right angle amber LED replacement bulbs.

I've been looking at those myself. Been debating between those and the more expensive tower type that they sell. Once you get a working flasher, I would be interested in what you think of them, and how bright they are compared to standard bulbs.

Did you get the right angle bulbs for the brake lights as well, or did you go with a different style?
                XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                -- Jack Burton

Comment

@Kit
                  As far as the 1156's go, the incandescent bulbs (on the left) are brighter, and fill the entire lens, but the LED's (on the right) are still very visible in full day light. They were definitely burning a hole through my skull when I was adjusting them. The camera over exaggerates the difference a bit.

For the taillight, I actually got this little guy, which is pretty cool.
                  SDL's Dual Function Motorcycle Tail/Brake & License Plate Lamp
                  As you can see it has a ring of white LED's at the base to illuminate your license plate.

Here's a link to their page.
                  http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...cycle_bulb.htm

At the moment the brake light is not lighting, but I need to check to see if it's an issue with the LED, the socket, or a cracked wire. The brake light also isn't working with the incandescent bulb, but I'm not positive if this is new or I just hadn't noticed up until now.
                  Pat K

Comment

Thanks for the comparison pic. That's kinda what I thought would happen, which is why I was considering the tower type (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...5-T.htm#photos). The downside is, they're $25 a pop, as opposed to $10 for the ones you got. I really don't want to spend $100 for 4 turn signal bulbs. Then another $50 for 2 tail/brake bulbs.
                    XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
                    -- Jack Burton

Comment

I was sort of considering the spider bulbs for the tail light.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

At the moment the brake light is not lighting, but I need to check to see if it's an issue with the LED, the socket, or a cracked wire. The brake light also isn't working with the incandescent bulb, but I'm not positive if this is new or I just hadn't noticed up until now.
                        Are you sure that light is a duel stage light? I thought I read the specs on that same one and it was a single stage light...
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                          Are you sure that light is a duel stage light? I thought I read the specs on that same one and it was a single stage light...
                          They have both in that style bulb.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's got the 2 positive contacts on the bottom, and the offset pins on the sides, definitely the tail/brake 1157 style replacement . Also, as I mentioned the original incandescent bulb no longer works either. I feel like it was working, before I pulled the original bulb, but It's hard to say. I did my rear brakes last week, and when I flipped up the rear fender, it may have cracked a wire, or the socket may have been holding on by a thread, and when I pulled the original bulb it just gave up the ghost. I haven't had a chance to look at it since I started the thread. In any case, electrical problems are always fun to deal with, right? Because the solution is always so obvious,right?.... Right?....Anyone?....Little help?.....oh.
                            Pat K

Comment

I put two LED bulbs in my rear light unit and ended up taking them out. Despite the high number of LED's per bulb, they were just not as bright as filament bulbs and, in particular, the rear brake light was not powerful enough in daylight. Night-time was OK but in the day, it was a lot less bright than the filament bulbs. With the sun shining on the rear light unit (albeit a rarity in the UK...) , you could hardly tell it was on. Not ideal for warning the driver behind that you're stopping or slowing down.

I also tried the LED bulbs in my flashers and got much the same result as other people... no flashing, or flashing and staying on. I was using the OEM flasher unit and it's obviously incompatible. Again, despite a high number of LED's in the bulbs, they were just not as bright as the filament bulbs and I got rid of them too.
                              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                              X