Source and instructions for Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source and instructions for Fork Seals

I need to replace my front springs with progressives (have had in box for years) and NEED to replace my fork seals. What is the best source for seals that will work and instructions? I used to know all this stuff, and seem to remember that this is pretty tricky but it has been so long since I have done anything but change the oil on my XS, its like starting over. THanks!
    2005 FJR 1300 "Mission" (NON ABS)
    1979 XS 1100 SF "Visitation" Owned since 1984 - SS Brake Lines, TKAT fork brace, Progressive Fork Springs.
    1978 XS 750 D "Motivation" - 9" rear custom shocks, dropped front end, shaved seat

When Caged:2006 Jeep Commander, 1986 Cutlass 442, 1976 Porsche 912E (latest project)

First of all, you need to know what forks you have. The 80G takes a different size than other 11's. I just bought a set of seals distributed by K&L, part number 15-2562.
    From the looks of them, they should do well. Double seal lips, and the dust lip is spring loaded, so it should do a good job of keeping te grimes out. Size is 37x49x8/9.5Time will tell if the elastomers are any good. Googleing K&L with the part number or size should get you a source.
    CZ

Comment

The Specials take 37X48X10.5

I usually use the Parts Unlimited brand (FS031) from Dennis Kirk. Since you probably aren't going to use air assist anymore because of the Progressive springs, you shouldn't need the expensive Yamaha OEM triple lip seals, JMHO.

For servicing the forks, there should be plenty of information in the service manual and on this site in the archives.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=&mmyId=7771
      Last edited by bikerphil; 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

fork seals

When i bought my '81 i had to R&R the fork seals also, I found a brand on ebay called leakproof
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L...Q5fAccessories

Im not 100% sure that these are the right ones but there was no tool needed to install them and they are guaranteed forever......soft rubber, just pop em in and go really easy and i havent had a lick of trouble with them, ill keep looking and see if i can find the part number from the set i put in my bike for you but if you search around on ebay theres plenty of people selling them and i know the set i bought worked for a whole mess of bikes.........good luck
        Abe
        1981 XS1100H Venturer #458
        poor thing has about a dozen nicknames depending on the day we are having......lol

My Parents Told Me I Could Be Anything I Wanted.....So I Became An @$$hole

Comment

Inspect the legs for any dings or scratches as those will ruin a new seal in no time. I used a 800 grit stone. And since your forks are off think about fork gaiters. I never had to worry about stone chips, dried insect guts or dirt adhering to the legs and eventually destroying the seals. I had found a 12" motorcross gaiter that was the diameter of the dust seal on one end and the leg on the other. Hose clamps was all it took to keep it attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog9 View Post
            What is the best source for seals that will work and instructions?
            Georgefix on Fleabay. One of the most relaible suppliers you'll find, and he's priced great as well.

Look him up, you wont be dissapointed.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I did the seals on the special last year, twice, after I screwed it up the first time. The std is different, you need some bolts at the end of a rod to keep the bolt from spinning. There'll be links on the site about that.

To pry out the old seals I bought a seal puller. You need to wrap the tube in padding so you don't goober it up and be careful you don't score the inside tube when prying it out. Yes, I did both and cleaned it up with a Dremel.

Give me a shout if you need a hand.
              Darrell
              78E
              80G project
              06FJR

Comment

Working...
              X