LED bulb advice.. again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED bulb advice.. again

I recently installed a tour pak with 4 standard 1157 red lenses (1157) bulbs straight across. My 82 XJ 1100 handles this tie in with my tail lights fine, however now my turn signals stop blinking when I apply my brakes (Unless I have the rpm up to 3000) ""tried this in neutral with bike on center stand" . I guess this is too much draw for the xj. What I am asking my friends here at XS/XJ is any suggestions as to using LEDS for the turn signals? What type for the XJ? What color for amber lenses? Should I also go for LEDS for the brake lights? If so what type for red lenses? Really added the tour pak for both storage and safety..

"Boy, I got visions, the rest of the world wears bi-focals!"
    1982 XJ1100 Maxim
    http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/...maha%20XJ1100/

I have (as to several others) the same thing on my bike. I went to Autozone and bought 6 red LED 1157 bulbs. 4 for the trunk, and 2 for the tail light. You can put LEDs in the turn signals, but you'll likely have to change the flasher and you'll lose the auto-cancel feature. I wired my trunk to be BOTH running AND brake lights (hence the need for 1157 bulbs). If you only want them to be running lights, you can get the 1156 LEDs. They are a direct swap, depending on how your trunk is wired.

Are you using a Vetter trunk, or some other brand?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Vetter trunk..

CatatonicBug,

Sorry I didn't include enough info, yes it's a vetter trunk (tour pak) It has 1157 bulbs in it already, just not LED. If I use just LEDS in the brake lights, will my original bulbs in my turn signals blink when I apply the brakes. In other words will this bring the draw down enough so my turn signals work as they did originally? (self canceling ) ?

1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

yes

LEDS in brake lights will not affect signals.

Too little draw not too much - explained in other post on For Sale forum -

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

AutoZone and LED bulbs

I checked AutoZone online and could not find 1157 LED bulbs, in fact anything LED was scarce?? Do they not carry them? Or perhaps I am not looking properly?? Would like to get them locally, but where?

1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by gmups View Post
            I checked AutoZone online and could not find 1157 LED bulbs, in fact anything LED was scarce?? Do they not carry them? Or perhaps I am not looking properly?? Would like to get them locally, but where?
            I couldn't find LEDs locally anywhere except Autozone. There are lots of online places to get them though. Even Napa, Advance and O'Reilly had nothing.

No way to really know whether or not the use of LEDs will be enough to allow the signals to function properly, but I did have the same problem with mine, and LEDs fixed it. These bikes are infamous for their low, 22amp output, so any help you can give the electrical system will be noticed. I also added Geezer's Reg/Rect and an HID headlight to increase output and reduce draw (respectively).
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Check in the store. They are in the custom care section and generally come only in red and only in the stores. They are generally carried by OReilly's as well which is where I got mine (while they were still Kragan auto around here) and yes, they solve the problem your having, but you MUST change all 6 of them or the LED's won't change their brightness when you apply the brakes. You can also get bulbs from superbrightleds.com if you want an online source.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by gmups View Post
                ...What color for amber lenses? Should I also go for LEDS for the brake lights? If so what type for red lenses? Really added the tour pak for both storage and safety...
                You match the LED color to the lens, i.e. red for red, amber for amber (unless you're being tricky and use clear lenses)
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...