LED bulb advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED bulb advice..

I recently installed a tour pak with 4 standard 1157 red lenses (1157) bulbs straight across. My 82 XJ 1100 handles this tie in with my tail lights fine, however now my turn signals stop blinking when I apply my brakes (Unless I have the rpm up to 3000) ""tried this in neutral with bike on center stand" . I guess this is too much draw for the xj. What I am asking my friends here at XS/XJ is any suggestions as to using LEDS for the turn signals? What type for the XJ? What color for amber lenses? Should I also go for LEDS for the brake lights? If so what type for red lenses? Really added the tour pak for both storage and safety..

"Boy, I got visions, the rest of the world wears bi-focals!"
    1982 XJ1100 Maxim
    http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/...maha%20XJ1100/

Sorry posted under wrong forum heading.

Wrong forum, sorry posted this in wrong area. If someone can move this to appropriate section I'd appreciate that. Thanks

"Boy, I got visions, the rest of the world wears bi-focals!"
    1982 XJ1100 Maxim
    http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/...maha%20XJ1100/

Comment

not too much draw

gmups,
      You have too little draw - the LEDS do not have enough resistance to trigger the flasher is what I understand - you have two options - eliminate the electronic self cancelling flasher and go to an older type or add a resistor load to each bulb to increase the draw that can trigger the flasher - I know people will say half the advantage of LEDS is they draw less power, but you still gain long bulb life (essentially forever) and never having to change them.

Now the LED in the taillight/stop light works fine and doesn't affect the signals - I put one on mine and it hasn't changed a thing except it is more noticable than the OEM light.

Hope this helps and it gets moved to right place.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
      X