Shifter Reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Reassembly

My bike is upside down and in fourth gear. Will I be able to reassemble the shifter that way or do I have to somehow get it into 2nd gear?

Sorry, but it was December when I took this thing apart.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Marty, click it into 2nd before putting the cover on making sure the index marks line up on the shift drum and the shifter pawl. You can reassemble the shifter mechanism with the transmission in any gear, just line up the two dots for proper orientation.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Anyone have a pic of it lined up properly?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

This is the tranny in fourth gear with the shift pawls in place, dots lined up.

Fourth gear position is only for the purpose of removing and installing the countershaft and athe shift forks. I have never looked into why it is critical to be in fourth gear, I imagine it relates to the position of the gears and the shift forks and beable to slide past each other. Anyway, once ou have the countershaft back in place and the shift forks installed. What gear the tranny is in is irrelevent.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The service manual says to put it in 2nd gear for reassembly. Why? From your picture, it doesn't look like it would make any difference.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            The service manual says to put it in 2nd gear for reassembly. Why? From your picture, it doesn't look like it would make any difference.
            It doesn't matter. I keep mine in 4th all the way from beginning to end when doing the dremel fix. Never needed to switch to 2nd gear. It's just a cylinder, and it's position doesn't matter in this case.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Position DOES matter..........if your gonna check shift-pawl index.......HAS to be in 2nd gear to do this........and a good thing to check if shifting doesn't "feel" quite right or just to double check going back together.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

No matter. I got it into second.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Well I am glad that us the way it is. Didn't see the dots but thats where I put it anyways.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    Position DOES matter..........if your gonna check shift-pawl index.......HAS to be in 2nd gear to do this........and a good thing to check if shifting doesn't "feel" quite right or just to double check going back together.
                    I'm interested in why. The shift pawl as shown in the picture simply rest over the pins on the shift drum. In any gear, the at rest position goes back to the dots lined up, seen it, does it every time. Honestly, I have never taken it out of fourth until I have the shift pawls in place as shown and then only to shift through all the gears. Never had any problems doing it that way, but perhaps I am just lucky.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

There are 2 different sets of marks. The set of LINES on the shift drum/pawl and the set of DOTS on the parts with saw teeth. The LINES must be calibrated when in 2nd gear. The adjustment for this is the eccentric screw/nut near the large torsion spring. The DOTS just need to be aligned, doesn't matter which gear.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                      X