Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for replacement handlebars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for replacement handlebars?

I have the stock buckhorns and found them uncomfortable. The angle my wrist twists numbs my wrists in about 5 minutes.

I got some 650 handle bars that are straighter, but they are significantly shorter, having me put weight on my wrists, numbing them in about 15 minutes.

Im looking for suggestions of specific bars. Id like straight out (or close) grips with a long rise (is that correct?) so I can sit back like a cruiser without putting my weight on my hands.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

Could try some risers in the 650 bars if you like them.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think I need more pull back than risers may provide, but Im willing to try anything.
      79 Special
      2012 FJR1300
      78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

Comment

I can't vouch for their quality, as I have never bought them, but Mike's XS has several styles with dimensions listed.

Asking opinions here will bring you "shaky" results, as what makes for comfortable bars is a very personal choice. What works best for me has already proven to be wrong for you.
        Last edited by jetmechmarty; 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM. Reason: grammar
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

First, I agree with Marty, its like asking what chair is comfortable in a furniture store (yes, only us married guys know how long that decision can take. ).

A number of folks have suggested the older Goldwing bars. I forget the exact dimension, but I found a similar set of bars at a local bike shop made by LTD. They worked really nice for me on my last SH.

If it were me, I'd ride up to a shop, look through what they have and ask them to let you take them out and try on for size (not actually mount them, but hold them basically in place). At my local shop they can watch me out the front store front glass, so no problem. That is the onyl way you will find reasonably sure what you want. Even then it may take a couple of swaps to get what is really comfy for you.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Every now and the there is a set of step back riders that pop up on ebay. Brings them up about an inch and back about an inch I think.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt View Post
              I have the stock buckhorns and found them uncomfortable. The angle my wrist twists numbs my wrists in about 5 minutes. - - -
              Hi Redshirt,
              FWIW, I reckon the only good use for the rototiller bars is to be the tenor note in an outdoor windchime.
              I've replaced the rototiller bars on my XS11 and on my XS650.
              What works on my XS11 is bars from a Honda CB750.
              What works on my XS650 is bars from a Suzuki GT750 but those bars leaned me too far forward when I tried them on my XS11.
              But it's like shoes, you gotta try 'em on to be sure they'll fit.
              What you can do is to go to a swapmeet and look around for the guy (there's always at least one) with a boxful of used bars at ~$20 each.
              Pick 'em up and hold them out to get a feel for how they'd suit you.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I've got these Yamaha DT175 handlebars on mine. This is an old photo and the bike is now nearly standard, but it give's an idea. Very comfortable.

Comment

I got some bars from Karla Jones off eBay. They could be wider, but they are such a step ahead of the pullbacks. It improved my comfort level and totally changed the way the bike feels on curves. Push right, go right has a whole new meaning. I have thought about more dirt bike style bars, longer and a little straighter, but I don't want something that's going to hit the fairing. With these bars, if they are set up too high, the mirror hits the windshield of my Pacifico every time I park, so I run 'em down just enough to clear.
                  1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

im in the same boat ....cant decide what i want but im leaning towards these
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrome-Drag-Bike...item3a638a20b1

Anyone have a set up like this?
                    1980 XS standard With Pods and Harley mufflers

Comment

I bought a pair of used 4 wheeler bars. 15 bucks. And I love them.
                      1980 xs11sg
                      16600 miles, soon to be a lot more
                      stock headers with free flow exhaust
                      mikes xs pods
                      #45 pilot jets
                      #130 main jets on 2 & 3
                      #125 main jets on 1 & 4

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                        I've got these Yamaha DT175 handlebars on mine. This is an old photo and the bike is now nearly standard, but it give's an idea. Very comfortable.

Hi FJ111200,
                        While your bars do not appeal to me your exhaust looks very nice
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Put the bike on the centerstand or a lift, sit on it with yer eyes closed and reach out to where yer hands feel comfortable. Open yer eyes and see where yer mitts are. Take a couple of measurements and go have a look around here...

http://www.flandersco.com/

I use them for parts for building custom cables, too. Great old company.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                            Hi FJ111200,
                            While your bars do not appeal to me your exhaust looks very nice
                            Phil
                            LOL that's what we affectionately (not) call a "Moturd", which is slang for the English company that makes them, Motad.

Comment

I got a set from a honda cx500 at bent bike that looked like they would be a good replacement. About the same rise and slightly wide and slightly swept back. I am not a fan of the buckhorns. I am tall and I have to get my knees off the tank to make room for the buckhorns at full turn. Plus I like sitting up straighter. I'm doing a bunch of work and will post pics when I'm up and rolling again. (1st gear fix, polish engine, new tires front and rear, accel coils all waiting to be done.)
                              Bothell, WA
                              1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X