Gas tank cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank cleaning

Is there any particular "technique" to properly clean out the tank? I can't imagine being able to scrub much of the inside because its sealed..should I just be soaking it with some cleaner? Thanks for advice.
    2007 Yamaha r6
    81SH

It depends...

on what you need to clean out? Varnished old gas? Just some carb cleaner like Berryman's in there rolled around will loosen up gummy varnish deposits -

Most likely though you mean rusty flakes? That's a completely different animal and you will get a number of options ranging from electrolysis to dropping in a bunch of nuts or chain to physically dislodge the rust (after removing the sender and petcock towers of course).

Finally you need to consider how to avoid a repeat - possibly coating the tank.

If $ is no object and you are repainting, go to a radiator shop to have it dipped.

If you are doing it at home and repainting, consider electrolysis.

Otherwise 90% of us just use mechanical means to dislodge it with the nuts and chains. I didn't Kreem© mine but mostly because I just don't think it was that bad to begin with.

Hope this helps you think about options - keep asking about the one you want to do and then search on that method. There is a wealth of info in here.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Yeah I was going to suggest the radiator shop as well, I am waiting for mine to get done at a rad shop at the moment. Call around though cause prices seemed to vary here. I got quotes as high as $150 just to dip the tank but found a place that did it for $40. It would cost a bit more though if you wanted to keep the paint on the outside cause that involves more work, but if you are planning on repainting then this is a work free way to remove all the paint and bondo if there is any.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

If it's really crusty inside, dipping at a rad shop or electrolysis is probably the answer. But if you just have surface rust, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...leaning&page=4 You can just slosh this around inside the tank and clean it if it's not too bad...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As stated, it depends what is in there you want out. I had to clean a bunch of rust and old varnished up gas out.

I first tried using Citric Acid. It worked some but not as well as I wanted. I understand you can get a much stronger concentrate than what I started with though.

I then went to the electrolysis method. Worked really well and got it spit-spot in there. But it also exposed a few locations where the tank wall was thin...as in REALLY thin. And I got paint bubbling from gas leaking through pinholes in places. So, I coated the tank.

Also, be aware, the acetone and denatured alchohol will eat the heck out of paint!!!DAMHIKIJK!!
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Stuckinmud15 View Post
            I can't imagine being able to scrub much of the inside because its sealed
            Do you mean "sealed" as there is a coating in the tank? if so, be careful as chemicals such as acetone will desolve some types of tank coatings.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Rust removal

I saw Metal Rescue demonstrated on Two Guys Garage. If it works like they say it does, it's a simple solution.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

My '78 tank was fairly rusty inside. It was creating red gas and clogging the filters. I drained it, pulled the sending unit, rinsed it with HOT water then tried to plug the holes with plastic bags. Ran an entire bottle of C.L.R. into it and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Rinse and repeat I guess.

Oh, I dumped about 2 feet of steel chain into it before I ran the CLR through and shook it around with some Dawn dish soap. The chain seemed to remove about 80% of the loose scale. The CLR managed to create nice shiny steel again that promptly flash rusted before I could get out to the garage and run some mixed weed-whacker gas through it.

100 times better now. My shiny new filters are full of nice green-tinted gas with no chunkys and after cleaning the carbs, the bike actually runs again.

However, my water drain tube is slightly clogged. This was the downfall of the rusty gastank as the bike was stored outside and the original gas was mixed 50/50 with water when I got the bike.
                1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                2) http://www.yahoo.com
                3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Shaking chain around inside has been known to damage the drain tube as well.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The washing soda/ battery charger system is so easy to do. To me it is a no brainer. I guess that answers the question why I like it.

Take a look at this.

http://twinoak.altelco.net/~jacil/cl...ElecSetup.html

Use the battery charger instead of a battery though.
                    Good luck.
                    Rodger
                    Last edited by latexeses; 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM.
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I used a strong chemical (can't remember which one, got it at home depot) and a couple of handfulls of nuts and bolts. Mine was pretty bad. Got all the rust out, but it did expose a constellations worth of pinhole leaks. I soldered them all up and coated the tank POR 15. I really like the POR 15. If I had to do it again I'd either use electrolysis or the POR 15 product that combines with the rust to help minimize damage to the tank. The acid and nuts were a little harsher than they needed to be.
                      In the end, I picked up a nice used one that was in great shape. I'll keep the coated tank for the next project!!!!!
                      Bothell, WA
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                      X