Stock wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock wiring harness

Just wondering if anyone knows what part(s) I'll need to hook up stock headlight and turn signals after I removed my vetter fairing. I'm assuming there is a wiring harness out there that ties the headlight and signals together and plugs into the main harness. Hope I'm not in for a wiring fiasco lol.
    2007 Yamaha r6
    81SH

You have to see what you have to know what (if) you need. Depends how the fairing harness was hooked up. Some are hooked up plug and play and some are spliced and diced. You may get lucky.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

I will add that even if the main harness was cut and spliced it is no big deal to fix depending on how much or little effort you want to invest.
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
        I will add that even if the main harness was cut and spliced it is no big deal to fix depending on how much or little effort you want to invest.
        I'm not sure if it was cut and spliced, I'll check it out when i get home later. The connector piece on the current harness is a rectangular shaped one that plugged right into ybe vetter. Wondering if I can just buy a piece that the headlight and signals will go into that'll bring those wires to connect to the existing harness.
        2007 Yamaha r6
        81SH

Comment

Originally posted by Stuckinmud15 View Post
          ... The connector piece on the current harness is a rectangular shaped one that plugged right into the vetter. Wondering if I can just buy a piece that the headlight and signals will go into that'll bring those wires to connect to the existing harness.
          That plug is part of the Vetter harness, and if the fairing was originally bought for an XS11 should have Yamaha-style plugs on the other end for a direct plug-in to the bike. But those can tend to disappear over the years, so it may have been spliced directly into the bike. Best bet would be to eliminate that plug/harness, and reconstruct the stock connections. That way you won't be trying trying to stuff a big gob of wiring into the headlight bucket.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ya I'd much rather have a legit harness then having to cut splice and stuff wires all over.
            2007 Yamaha r6
            81SH

Comment

light

if you still have the plug on the bike wire harness it should plug right into the light bulb itself. i think.
              79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

All of the components are different connections in stock formation. Meaning the headlight is a three prong connector. There is an adaptor that plugs into that connector and plugs into the headlight itself.

The turn signals each have a separate single bullet connector for their positive wires. Male end on signal and female end on wiring harness IIRC. The ground from each turn signal goes into a double end connector that is off one ground wire on the harness.

So in essence, in stock form, there is no single connector to plug all three pieces together. You will not likely find one aftermarket either.

I'd go out and get pictures, but I just put the HID light kit on the bike and with all that packed into the headlight it is a PITA to get back together and buttoned up.

I do have a spare harness, so if you really need pics of those ends anyway, I will get what I can for you.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  All of the components are different connections in stock formation. Meaning the headlight is a three prong connector. There is an adaptor that plugs into that connector and plugs into the headlight itself.

The turn signals each have a separate single bullet connector for their positive wires. Male end on signal and female end on wiring harness IIRC. The ground from each turn signal goes into a double end connector that is off one ground wire on the harness.

So in essence, in stock form, there is no single connector to plug all three pieces together. You will not likely find one aftermarket either.

I'd go out and get pictures, but I just put the HID light kit on the bike and with all that packed into the headlight it is a PITA to get back together and buttoned up.

I do have a spare harness, so if you really need pics of those ends anyway, I will get what I can for you.
                  So the headlight can plug directly into that harness coming off the bike, where do the blinker bullet connectors plug into if that harness is being taken up by the headlight? I suppose pics may help if ya can, as I am kind of lost lol. The existing harness coming from the bike has like 6 prongs in it which the vetter previously plugged into, headlight and signals. Is there anywhere I may be able to pick up one of those vetter harnesses to use with the stock configuration? Thats the only easy way I can see this all working.
                  2007 Yamaha r6
                  81SH

Comment

Ok, here is the picture, or best I could get for you....

Note the black arrow points to the three point connector that goes to the headlight, this is where the adaptor plugs in that has an end that connects to the headlight.

The red arrow points to the double bullet ground connector for both grounds from the turn signals.

The brown arrow points to a red and brown bullet connectors. These are extras, not used on the stock setup.

The purple arrows point to the two bullet connectors that get the positive leads from the turn signals. The one on the left side is under neath that black connector, sorry about that.

And yes, ALL of those are inside the headlight bucket, along with the headlight!!!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Stuckinmud15 View Post
                      So the headlight can plug directly into that harness coming off the bike, where do the blinker bullet connectors plug into if that harness is being taken up by the headlight? I suppose pics may help if ya can, as I am kind of lost lol. The existing harness coming from the bike has like 6 prongs in it which the vetter previously plugged into, headlight and signals. Is there anywhere I may be able to pick up one of those vetter harnesses to use with the stock configuration? Thats the only easy way I can see this all working.
                      The bike doesn't use that. That harness that plugs into the Vetter is used only for that and should be plugged into the bike harness with bullet connectors and a headlight connector. If you unplug those, the stock parts just plug in in place of that harness.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

This is whats coming off the bike now. To get it back to stock I'll have to find a stock harness and switch it out with the one I have correct? And if so, is that piece easy to find? Thanks for that pic too I appreciate it, you all are a big help.
                        2007 Yamaha r6
                        81SH

Comment

OK That 9 pin piece you're holding in the last picture is the end of the VETTER wiring harness.

You need to go to the other end of that cable, & you'll find you yamaha bike wiring.
                          It may be plugs or spices, but you can just test lite it from there to get everything hooked back to normal. The Vetter harnes(cable) will not be used in the stock configuration.
                          Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                          stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Sorry, 12 pin piece. My bad.

Eliminate that cable!
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Haha gotcha. Will that stock wiring Have slack on it to reach?
                              2007 Yamaha r6
                              81SH

Comment

Working...
                              X