Headlight ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight ears

To get the ears on I have to remove the crown right? Is there anything I should know about doing this? Like am I going to be messing up any adjustments or anything like that? The ears came with 4 chrome ring looking things too, what do I do with these? two seem to fit the ends of the ears and two are too big.
    2007 Yamaha r6
    81SH

To get the ears on, you can remove the front wheel, loosen the bolts that hold the fork tubes and slide the forks downwards. This is better done with the mudguard off, so you can slide each for on its own. The larger rings go at the bottom of the ears (which actually sit ona groove on the rings) and the smaller ones go at the top (they are slightly larger in diameter than the ears and slot onto the top of them. Under the bottom rings should be a rubber ring which makes it all a snug fit....

When I did mine, I used a brush and painted grease on the inside of the ears and the rings... they corrode inside easily....
    Last edited by James England; 03-27-2011, 05:04 PM.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Much easier path to install the ears. Put the bike on the centerstand, have someone lean on the back and put a jackstand under the front frame cross rail to hold the front wheel off the ground, really just for safety.

Now, remove the center cap bolt on the tripple trees, and loosen the top pinch bolts on both sides. IIRC that is all it should take to let you slide the upper triple tree off the forks, then you can slide the ears on.

Look at the parts fiche for the order, but essentually, you start wiht the fork cover (part that says YAMAHA on it covers lower tree and splitter for brakes) rubber gasket, then headlight ear, followed by the chrome ring/cap piece, and I think another rubber washer, but check the parts fiche to be sure. Do both sides, put the top triple tree back on, tighten pinch bolts and reinstall center bolt.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I found it easier to take the handle bars off, so that I could put a socket on the crown bolt.
        Take it off, loosen the clamp bolts (3), and take the top cross tree off.
        Put the ears on, with the rubber gasket, or o-rings, and the chrome collars top and bottom, put the cross tree back on, and reinstall the crown bolt. It torques to 61 ft/lbs, and the pinch bolts to 14/15 ft/lbs.
        I left the front wheel on the ground, but was careful not to apply any weight to the front end while the cross tree was off.
        Easy fix. CZ

Comment

When I put the special ears on mine I actually used the tapered washers from slip joints (plumbing items) instead of the chrome rings, I only had 2 rings anyways. But with those washers it holds the ears tight between the trees and holds them from vibrating at all.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Stuckinmud15 View Post
            To get the ears on I have to remove the crown right? - - -
            Hi Alex,
            like James said, you can just take the top 'tree off so slide the ears and associated parts on.
            But as it'll be half way apart anyway, now is a good time to check and re-pack the head race bearings.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok so I should have some sorts of o rings with the ears? All I have is the two ears and 4 metal rings.
              2007 Yamaha r6
              81SH

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                When I put the special ears on mine I actually used the tapered washers from slip joints (plumbing items) instead of the chrome rings, I only had 2 rings anyways. But with those washers it holds the ears tight between the trees and holds them from vibrating at all.
                Is there any particular size I should look to get or just find "tapered washers for slip joints"? Thanks
                2007 Yamaha r6
                81SH

Comment

Sounds like a decent substitute. I'd look for rubber myself only because it will compress better I would think. As to the size, just whatever size is closest to the OD of the upper fork tubes.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Sounds like a decent substitute. I'd look for rubber myself only because it will compress better I would think. As to the size, just whatever size is closest to the OD of the upper fork tubes.
                    Ok, so are these o rings going to sit on top of the ears our on the inside of them between the ear and the fork?
                    2007 Yamaha r6
                    81SH

Comment

Originally posted by Stuckinmud15 View Post
                      Ok so I should have some sorts of o rings with the ears? All I have is the two ears and 4 metal rings.
                      Hi Alex,
                      they are square section o-rings, the posh name is tetraseal.
                      You'd have to measure the rings to get the correct size.
                      If you can't find them easily, some have used ordinary o-rings instead.
                      Or even plumbing fittings.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The order from bottom to top on mine is....

bottom triple tree, Fork cover, oring, headlight bracket/ear, Chrome ring, upper triple tree.

I do not recall another o-ring between the bracket and the chrome ring. essentially, the o-ring just makes it all a tight fit so it does not rattle around while your riding.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

On mine, the order was; bottom tree, rubber ring, large chrome ring with the outside lip down, covering the rubber ring, and the ear setting in the inner depression, ear, and top chrome ring with the lip down, covering the top of the ear.
                          If you need the rubber rings, go to Home Despot or equal, and tell the plumbing guy that you need two 1 and 1/2 inch rubber slip joint gaskets for brass fittings. Don't let him sell you the plastic ones for plastic pipe. The real ones will be square cross section, and black or white rubber, one and a half inches inside diameter. CZ

Comment

Working...
                          X