Just Trashed my XS1100F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    it would be fine unless you accellerated hard like to enter the freeway and then had to let off the gas - the resulting backpressure would fire the plug out the hole into the inner fender wall with a bang and it would run like crap on 3 cyl until you stopped and redid it -

usually the plug was still hanging by the wire - not always - but 8 times out of 10 - those bugs were tough to kill.
    John
    Hah! That is funny!
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'ma newb too and just had the same issue with my bike, did the helicoil and it went smooth. I globbed vaseline on the end of the tap to catch the shavings, then picked the remaining few out with a screw driver with vaseline on the end of it. Seems to have done the trick. And LMAO at that vw story!
      2007 Yamaha r6
      81SH

Comment

hey newbie,
        i posted this early on another thread
        hope this helps.

I borrow the kit i use,
        with the tap that comes with it,
        theres no need to use a drill, as the tap
        has a starter thread which is the same size as the spark plug hole,

once the tap is started it increases in thickness to the correct
        size of the helicoil, once the tap starts to cut into the alloy it will
        take out a fair bit of material, so use plenty of grease on the tap
        to catch the bits that come away, also when the tap starts to cut,
        turn the tap a quarter/ half a turn then turn it back out again, then quarter/ half a turn then back again keep doing this till it cuts the thread all the way thru.

but pulling the tap out in between to clean the grease and gunk off once it starts to build up.

once the thread is cut, dab a bit of grease on the end of a screw driver
        into the plug hole to pick up the alloy that didnt stick to the grease, if uve cleaned the tap throu out there shouldnt be to much that has fallen, i usually have the piston sitting just b4 top dead center.

clean the thread of grease and then screw in the insert, u need to be carefull here cause if u screw it in to far, u wont be able to screw it back out, i usually put a dab of loctite on the insert but its not necesarry.

theres a 'tab' at the bottom of the insert where the special tool grabs onto it,, grab a pair of needle nose pliers and twist it off, if the piece drops, again use a screwdriver with a dab of grease and pull it out.

thats about it, i think, just make sure the tap is square to the hole.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots
        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

There is actually a different type of Helicoils that is specifically intended for spark plugs, not saying the regular ones won't work but these work better for this purpose. The regular ones with the little tab that you break off once ot is in can and sometimes, not always, pull out where the spark plug specific ones have a different setup that sort of expands at the end to grab hold of the base material once installed to that it cannot come out. The kit I linked to is the sparkplug specific type. The sparkplug specific coils are also a tighter coil to help prevent compression leaks.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Google "Time-Sert", and go from there.
            This is the kind that use an insert that expands once the insert is in place. Then it can not come out.
            If there is an automotive shop that deals with old VW's near you, chances are that they will have the stuff to do it, as it was a common repair to BUGS. In fact, any competent repair shop will have a set, since a lot of autos have aluminum heads now days. CZ

Comment

I got a spark plug repair kit from O'Reilly's and I am going to do the fix tonight.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks,
              Adam

Comment

Originally posted by xs1100newb View Post
                I got a spark plug repair kit from O'Reilly's and I am going to do the fix tonight.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks,
                Adam
                Awesome! Glad to hear your gonna take a stab at it! Hope it goes well!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Okay,
                  The hole is tapped and the insert + red locktite is inserted. I am going to let it cure overnight (24 hours), fish out the metal shards, and start the bike up tomorrow night.

Adam

Comment

Glad to hear ya got her fixed! Congrats!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I always use a smear of anti-seize on spark plug threads. Seems to be doing the job...

Comment

Yeah I now put a little 'no weld" anti seize on my plug threads too. NO probs either with my helicoil since that. - Dan
                        '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                        1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                        Rebuilt head, valves
                        TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                        Tkat Fork Brace
                        T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                        Dyna Coils & wires
                        Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                        ISO grips with stelleto ends
                        4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                        Bridgestone Spitfires
                        Tuned by Tinman905
                        & a will to keep it.

Comment

Everything worked great. The bike started right up and the helicoil is staying in place.

Adam

Comment

And you were going to give up!
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

That happened to me with my T120R Triumpho Bonneville! At night. In the rain. Except the plug was fired out into a ditch. I spent over an hour on my hands and knees in the rain, with a small torch and, amazingly, did eventually find the plug and get home.........
                              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                              X