Wont start up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start up again

My xs has been very off beat lately. It used to start right up when cold or warm. BUT lately its been downright impossible to get it running. First experienced this when I took it for a ten minute ride. Parked it went out to take another quick trip and it refused to run unless I held the throttle open a bit. It wouldn't go over 3000 rpm and if I let off the throttle it would die. Finally after about 4 minutes of messing with it, it ran just fine. Then I put it in to a storage facility because I'm moving. Ran just fine, came back the next day to go for a ride and it refused to even sputter. Tried to start it for so long that my battery died then I jumped it with my truck battery. It turned over with more gusto than ever before but still wouldn't fire up. All I got was a huge ear poping back fire. Finally gave up and here I am. Yes I have fuel filters. Lines are not kinked and I searched the forum but couldn't find anything. Please help.

Its a 1981 xs11special
    -xs1100 special
    -wife
    -daughter

I would start by checking battery. Could be very weak and not giving a good spark.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? Has it sat for any period of time without being used?
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think Nate is on the right track...

If it was running and wouldn't rev above 3000, then either fuel or air were limited. it is more likely that a fuel restriction exists - a clogged hole in a jet or two from sitting (were you deployed?) or gummy gas.

you might try running with a test bottle of gas hooked to the lines and put some of that Start your Engines stuff in the gas to help dissolve varnish.

Don't forget don's advice on the battery - charging fully first may help in eliminating spark as an issue.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

try this

If the bike is turning over fast with a car hookkup it shouldnt be the battery,,,,
          check your fuses, maybe wiggle to get a good contact and check current across each one.
          Also,,,check kill switch if accidently turned on...
          Also check fuel petcock valve, turn to prime,,also check gas level-is the tank full????
          Also check to see if gas is filling the fuel filters to show there is flow to them, and let us know if any of those checks works,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun DIego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Mu guess would be dirty carbs, in particular the low-speed circuits.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Next time

Had that problem once. Wouldn't start cold and when setting hot for a few minutes. Using a peice of fuel hose, I put a small amount of fuel into the vac ports on cyl 1 & 4 and it started right up. Idle was set a little too lean. If that don't work, maybe it's too rich.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

thanks for the input everyone. ill try giving the battery a good charge up first then go from there.
                -xs1100 special
                -wife
                -daughter

Comment

Working...
                X