Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accel coils, wires and caps question

Hi Guys,

Picked up good deal with Ebay buy it now on Accel kit.

I've read a lot of posts but can't tell whether or not I can use the caps that come on the accel 8.8 graphite wires or do I need to move my NGK's over the Accel wires?

For that matter, I'm assuming I can use the graphite wires?

Haven't posted much, but am enjoying everyone's projects. The bikes are so much fun.

Thanks!
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

You don't need to run the NGK resistor spark plug caps, the rubber Accel caps will be fine. If you have a radio on your bike, you might want to run resistor spark plugs, if not, no worries. You will need to run the top terminals on the spark plugs now.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      You don't need to run the NGK resistor spark plug caps, the rubber Accel caps will be fine. If you have a radio on your bike, you might want to run resistor spark plugs, if not, no worries. You will need to run the top terminals on the spark plugs now.
      If you think you may be riding near anyone with a radio in their vehicle and don't way to make them angry you may want to either use resistor caps, resistor wires or resistor plugs to prevents cause interference with other vehicle radios, those are not just for the radio on your own vehicle for for them on other vehicles as well (actually back then it was primarily for other vehicles).
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I certainly wouldn't be too worried about other people understanding why their radio suddenly gets a bit fuzzy....
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          I certainly wouldn't be too worried about other people understanding why their radio suddenly gets a bit fuzzy....
          LOL, me neither. I like the looks I get when I flip on the switch of my cell phone signal scrambler.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

LOL, me neither. I like the looks I get when I flip on the switch of my cell phone signal scrambler.
            Ya know that is illegal....but I want one!
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Ya know that is illegal....but I want one!
              I want one too, get these F'ers to hang up for good while driving.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

I want one too, get these F'ers to hang up for good while driving.
                I think it would backfire though cause then everyone will be looking at their phone wondering why its not working!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, but there's a lot of folks that WOULD figure out that the bike that pulled up next to them it the reason for the growling noise in their radio, especially if you pull up next to a ham radio operator. And some of those guys are just barely civilized and carry guns (I know, so do many of us, but at the same time, its considered polite to take that SMALL effort needed to comply with FCC regulations (and yes, in the US it is an FCC reg) for street legal vehicles to prevent interfering with mobile and some static communications). It takes very little effort, has NO affect on performance, has practically no cost frankly, and is just part of being a good citizen. I just don't understand how anybody can ever justify recommending not running either resistor caps, wires or plugs , it takes just one of the three to do the job, and I've never really seen under normal conditions having more than one of them cause a problem either.

These type coils can use standard automotive type resistance wire like a car does, in which case you actually should be fine, although frankly it's getting to be almost impossible to get non-resistor plugs anymore anyways so I'm not sure what the point is, just run normal wires and resistor plugs and be fine.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

resistance wires plugs or caps

natemoen
                    XS-XJ Guru Join Date: May 2010

When they suddenly swerve and knock you clean off the road, you will start to worry
                    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Thanks guys, that was some funny stuff. Personally I have no problem messing with people. I'm guessing the radio interference is only with AM anyway. I suppose I listen to AM most of the time!
                      I would love to find that button on my cell phone, too!
                      We were in my Suburban at night on the freeway with a young girl in a car driving erratically when we realized she was texting. We pulled up beside her honking and pointing until she hung up!! Would love to have used the button on her.
                      I'll put resistor plugs in if I don't already have them in.
                      Bothell, WA
                      1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                      X