airbox with fuel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airbox with fuel question

Airbox had a load of gas in it after a short ride this morning.
    To recap:
    79 special
    running good, idle good at 1100 once warm.
    float heights all triple verified.
    carbs clean.
    new carb kits (seats, needles, jets, et al).
    gaskets not interfering with floats.
    float movement smooth as butter. mmmm butter....
    stop tang keeps all needles from falling too far. mmmmmm tang.....
    petcocks and octi rebuilt. mmmmmm....... octi.

Observations:
    Ran it about 30 miles yesterday off and on (first time running it in good working order!). Left petcocks on. No leaks, and I was checking diligently. Went to start it cold at the end of the day to ride home from a friends house and it wouldnt start. It was like it wasnt getting gas at all. I thought I flooded it (gas smell strong). Then I started to crank it and give it throttle. Finally fired up and ran fine.

This morning I run it a half mile and get off. come back 15 minutes later and the airbox has fuel dripping. Stood it up level and the fuel flowed from the airbox drain. It stopped on its own, but was significant. Shut off petcocks. Cussed then wept, sprawled on the sidewalk and tore hair out. Got on, petcocks on, tried to start it again. Same symptoms as last night. No start without giving it alot o' throttle.

Ok. so Ive been pondering why... WHY GOD WHY!?!?!
    Could this possibly be from a sinking float? It occured to me that if the octi is working from tank to octi, but the lines still have gas in them, if I have a sunk float, it would drain the fuel in the line from octi to carb(s) and thus into the airbox. The difficult start MAY be from low float bowl level after drained into airbox(?). And giving it throttle to fill the bowl(s) back up may be the cause??

Am I in the ball park on these guesses or does anyone else have any thoughts?
    79 Special
    2012 FJR1300
    78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

Next time this happens take the lower airbox off, You can stick your hand up inside each carb tube and see which carb or carbs are backflowing (wet). That's the next clue you need.
    79SF
    XJ11
    78E

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt View Post
      Could this possibly be from a sinking float?
      Yes it could, if the float is sinking, then obviously it will not float (I know, thanks Mr. Obvious!!) and will not pressure the valve into the seat to stop the flow of fuel.

It occured to me that if the octi is working from tank to octi, but the lines still have gas in them, if I have a sunk float, it would drain the fuel in the line from octi to carb(s) and thus into the airbox.
      First off, understand that the Octi, and the petcocks are similar to the shutoff valves under the sink on your kitchen faucet. If the faucet is dripping, you can shut the valves below, but does not change the fact your faucet drips and needs to be repaired. The real issue remains the faucet, or in this case, float valves and or floats.

As to gas draining from lines with the valves shut, only if there is a path for air to get into the lines. Similar to putting your finger over the end of a straw that is in your drink and then pulling it out, the fluid stays in the straw because no air can get in to replace the fluid.

Also, the fuel level in the float bowl is not dropping when fuel flows into the air box, its like leaving the faucet run into a bucket, it is just way to full and over flowing.

The difficult start MAY be from low float bowl level after drained into airbox(?). And giving it throttle to fill the bowl(s) back up may be the cause??
      Ok, the throttle on these carbs do nothing to fuel level. The throttle controls air flow only. The amount of air flow controls how much vacuum is created across the venturi (middle smaller part where the slide is) of the carb body and that controls how much fuel is drawn from the bowls. So the most likely thing is that your float bowl is way to full causing a very rich mixture, and your opening the throttle adds air to lean the mixture out.

again, the fuel going into the air box is because the float bowl is way past full and is flowing over the top.

Since you mentioned sinking floats, you seem to have the older style carbs. Those have the vent Ts, and you want to be sure that vent passage is open or the they will flood no matter how good your floats and valves are.
      Last edited by DGXSER; 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Your pet cock(s) and octy are letting fuel pass to the carbs when shut off and one or more needle and seats are leaking. I would solve the pet cock leak first. You wouldn't be the first guy to rebuild them and still have them leak.

Deny
        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Deny, I tested the tank petcocks while I had the tank off the bike. All positions worked as expected without leaking. The octi, however, I have no clue how to test.
          Is there a way to test the octi by itself?

Vent T's are clear and unobstructed.
          79 Special
          2012 FJR1300

Comment

Testing the petcocks and octi is simple; with the motor off and the petcocks 'off', disconnect the fuel lines at the carbs. If gas runs out (after the initial fuel in the lines is gone), the petcocks and octi are leaking. If not, turning the petcocks to 'on' (motor still off) and now you get leaking, the octi is bad. The fact remains, even if one or both are leaking, the carb needle valves should still prevent fuel overflow, so there's an issue in the carbs too.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

crazy steve,
              that carb issue: Im going to test the floats for leaks. Is there anything else I can check for in the carbs that could contribute to the problem?
              79 Special
              2012 FJR1300

Comment

If the vents are clear, the float needle valves and seats are clean/new, and your sure the seal at the seat be it the washer for the older style or the o-ring on newer style is good. Then something is getting in there and clogging the valve some how.

I completely rebuilt the carbs on Thunderstruck, my first XS11, and no matter what one needle valve would leak. In my case, it was the soft rubber fuel line chaffing off when I attached it to the carbs and small pieces would plug my needle valve on one carb or another.

Your case may well be the float. With all the other items addressed, I would certainly go there next.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The octi, however, I have no clue how to test. - - - Is there a way to test the octi by itself?
                  Hi Redshirt,
                  yes there is a 2-step process and it always works.
                  1) Remove Octy.
                  2) Toss Octy into garbage can.
                  With the test completed, cap off the "prime" gas tap connections and the Octy's vacuum connection.
                  Run a gas line from each tap criss-cross to each carb tee to give you scope to use in-line gas filters.
                  If you can't remember to turn the gas off when you stop and on again when you start should you really be riding?
                  Last edited by fredintoon; 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, fredintoon.
                    Im attempting to fix it before bypassing. It will help me understand this great ole bike better if I get its blood on my hands (and some of my own).
                    At some point, I figure the octi will get canned like many of you have done already.
                    As for my memory... I was going to say something but I forgot what it was.
                    79 Special
                    2012 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      If you can't remember to turn the gas off when you stop and on again when you start should you really be riding?
                      Don't try and tell me you have never left your petcocks on (i know you currently have a standard tank but I am just talking at some point in your great many of years of riding ).
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Redshirt,
                        You're not the only person with this issue...
                        I've been making sure the gas is off when I park .... for 11 years!
                        Two rebuilds on the carbs during that time period hasn't solved the problem yet.
                        At some point... it will bother me enough to do what you're doing.... however, for now I like my hair and want to keep it for a while longer.... even though it's not as dark as it once was.

JT

Comment

My needle seats werent very tight. I just tightened them and did a manual test, touching the floats on and off with gas flowing. Messy, but I see the valves working.
                          I may go forward and put the carbs back on and see if that helps. Gas was getting past the valves before and the seat may have been the problem. I dunno.
                          Gotta change the oil as a precaution before riding.
                          79 Special
                          2012 FJR1300

Comment

have u got the occy plumped up correctly?
                            im with fred tho with ditching the thing, its
                            a pain at the best of times, but you do need to make
                            sure that the needle and seats are closing the fuel off,
                            if the fuel flows forward back into the motor it can become
                            an expensive repair.

when u have the carbs off, flip them upside down and place
                            ur mouth over 1 of the inlets at a time and blow,
                            move the floats up and down
                            u'll feel and hear if any of the needles arent sealing,
                            do this again with the float bowls fitted to see if the floats are
                            sticking on the gaskets.
                            the only thing this wont check is if the floats have holes in them
                            and are sinking.
                            pete

new owner of
                            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                            zrx carbs
                            18mm float height
                            145 main jets
                            38 pilots
                            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                              Don't try and tell me you have never left your petcocks on - - -
                              Hi Nate,
                              yes, and I admit, more than once. Plus not remembering to turn them on again.
                              With my Standard gas taps converted to manual operation the 4 carbfulls will just get me to the first traffic light away from my house before the engine starts to falter and that's when I ask myself:-
                              Last edited by fredintoon; 03-26-2011, 09:10 PM.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X