German exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
    That's a very nice looking set of pipes. The rest of the bike is none too shabby either!!
    Thank you, kind sir. Weather is fine here, so I'll be out on it!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I have to say, that's one fine looking XS!!! LOVE the exhaust you have, it looks so nice all clean and non cluttered. IMO I would ship putting the shields on it... I like the color scheme with the engine, I think in the future I'm going to try to and make mine like that. I just love the dark blue bike with a black engine. Thanks for sharing!
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Pipes

Great looking pipe.. I agree with Steve in that the only difference I see is these are more angled than the originals. I also like the tires!! May I ask where you purchased these?
        78 XS1100E Standard
        Coca Cola Red
        Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Stunning Bike..I'm sick with envy.
          1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
          2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
            Great looking pipe.. I agree with Steve in that the only difference I see is these are more angled than the originals. I also like the tires!! May I ask where you purchased these?
            Yes, I found out the origin of the upward angle..... there's a slight bend up on the section of pipe just before the silencer cone begins. It's the same on both sides. I suppose I could remove the system and get the pipe straightened out at that point but, even loving authenticity as I do, I think it would be a bit pointless. And, like I mentioned in response, I was lying flat on the ground on my stomach to take the photo, so this accentuates it somewhat.

The tyres are Avon Roadrider AM26. They're readily available here in the UK and don't actually cost a lot. They're reasonably hard wearing but still feel secure when riding in the wet. They don't come with the gold paint on the letters though! I just ran a paintbrush with metallic gold paint on it across the letters......
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by xsroadrunner View Post
              Stunning Bike..I'm sick with envy.
              Thanks for the compliment. I really wouldn't want to inspire envy though.... it's nice if people like it as much as I do and admire the lovely job that Yamaha did in creating something like this. I just sit and look at the bike and think how clever they were to have come up with something like this as far back as 1977 when British bikes were leaking oil and falling apart all over the place. I had two Triumph Bonnevilles, a Norton Commando, Triumph Tiger Cub etc and all of them leaked oil and literally shook themselves apart on a regular basis. The Meriden factory in the UK was still producing the Bonneville when Yamaha came up with the XS1100 and they were just completely and utterly in different universes.

A local British bike spares place told me to "get that Jap crap off my forecourt" when I stopped to buy some spares for someone. Incredible that someone could say that when faced with a feat of engineering like the XS1100!

Comment

Envy as is Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Theres nothing more beautiful in my mind's eye than to see an XS/XJ1100 restored to its originality. And yours is right at the top!
                As for the bloke at the spares shop,he's the one full of crap. I wouldnt take my busuness there or anyone elses either.
                1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                X