German exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    The only 'flaw' I see is the mufflers appear to have a slight 'up angle' compared to the original pipes; the OEM pipes didn't quite hide the axle from a side view. Will your 'tire change cable' hold the wheel up enough to still allow axle removal?D
    I was actually lying flat on the ground when I took the photo.... so I could get all the abbey in, so it accentuates the angle of the silencers. They do, in fact, slightly obsure the rear axle but not by as much as it looks in my attempt at an 'arty photo!

I've never used the cable thing, even on my new bike. I prefer to chock the rear wheel and remove both rear shocks. I know it's more long-winded but I've never liked the idea of the wire snapping or fraying!
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      Hopefully, the outside head pipes wont scrape during hard turns. They do look great. I would get the heat shields (clamp-ons?) just to protect your skin and reduce "shoe goo" on the hot pipes.
      I can only get the heat shields with 3 bolt holes... two at the top and one underneath. They come from Yamaha like that but the originals were clip-on, I think. Following suggestions from forum members re my lack of stainless welding experience, I think I will braze a nut onto a Jubilee clip and tighten it onto the exhaust pipe... then put bolts through the heat shield holes straight into them. Either that or get the stainless welding man to tack three nuts per side onto the pipes.....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
        That is one mighty fine looking bike and set of pipes. The pic of the background combined with that bike should be in a calendar! Nice to see it and hear about the pipes. Thanks.
        Thank you. I think forum member Wildkat does a calendar of XS1100's?? Yes, there's something about Thornton Abbey, isn't there? It's about 5 miles from my house and is actually only the gatehouse to an abbey built around 1300 which was completely destroyed by Henry VIII. Only the foundations of the abbey are left. They left the gatehouse because it was mainly brick (one of the first large structures in the UK made of brick) and not worth using for stone. So they just trashed the statues a bit and left the rest. The good old days, eh?

Comment

Thanks for sharing. You have a very fine specimen and I am in a pure state of envy.
          current bikes:
          1983 GS 1100E
          2009 Kaw Vulcan 1700 Classic

past bikes:
          1978 XS 1100
          1994 FZR 600
          1984 V65 Sabre
          1973 CB 750
          1974 CB 750
          1979 KZ 750 twin
          1977 CB 550
          1983 XJ 750 Seca
          1981 900 super sport
          too many others to list

Comment

Originally posted by figman View Post
            Thanks for sharing. You have a very fine specimen and I am in a pure state of envy.
            Thank you. It's taken a lot of time and all my spare cash to get looking like that though. I've no doubt spent more in total than it's 'worth'...... for once, I'm in a position to keep my motorbike and not have to sell it, so it's worth it to me. The alarming thing is that people who see it refer to it as a 'classic bike'...."nice to see old classics still on the road" etc.... but I remember when they first came out and were state of the art modern. They turned heads in those days because they were so new. Now they turn heads because they're so old. And that's happened in my own lifetime.....!

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              I can only get the heat shields with 3 bolt holes... two at the top and one underneath. They come from Yamaha like that but the originals were clip-on, I think....
              The originals were welded to the stock pipes and not replaceable or available separately. The bolt-on shields are for the Specials, but I don't think they'll fit quite right as they're shaped differently; those 'turn up' at the back to match the angled-up Special mufflers. You might be able to correct that with some careful use of a rubber hammer, but that exhaust looks great without them... I don't see getting getting 'stuff' on the pipes as an issue, as your shoes are well above the pipes.
              Last edited by crazy steve; 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Nice looking exhaust

I think it's actually made by Heinz Wyes (wyes.heinz@arcor.de) and sold on by Der-Muede. There's contact details and more pics in the "List of XS1100 aftermarket exhausts" on the UK forum.
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Thank you. It's taken a lot of time and all my spare cash to get looking like that though. I've no doubt spent more in total than it's 'worth'...... for once, I'm in a position to keep my motorbike and not have to sell it, so it's worth it to me. The alarming thing is that people who see it refer to it as a 'classic bike'...."nice to see old classics still on the road" etc.... but I remember when they first came out and were state of the art modern. They turned heads in those days because they were so new. Now they turn heads because they're so old. And that's happened in my own lifetime.....!

I too remember when they first came out in 78 and as a young man they impressed me and at 51 the XS 11 still impresses me.
                  current bikes:
                  1983 GS 1100E
                  2009 Kaw Vulcan 1700 Classic

past bikes:
                  1978 XS 1100
                  1994 FZR 600
                  1984 V65 Sabre
                  1973 CB 750
                  1974 CB 750
                  1979 KZ 750 twin
                  1977 CB 550
                  1983 XJ 750 Seca
                  1981 900 super sport
                  too many others to list

Comment

Very nice! I just don't know what else to say! I want one!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The bolt-on shields are for the Specials, but I don't think they'll fit quite right as they're shaped differently; those 'turn up' at the back to match the angled-up Special mufflers. You might be able to correct that with some careful use of a rubber hammer, but that exhaust looks great without them... I don't see getting getting 'stuff' on the pipes as an issue, as your shoes are well above the pipes.
                      That's what I thought at first but I don't think it's correct. The OEM shields on the UK 2H7's and 9's were a kind of strap-on arrangement. http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100f-...list/B-12.html I know what you mean re the Special shield having that flared bit to cope with the shape of the muffler. On my quest to find them, I've seen several, especially in the USA. The part number prefix is 4H3 or 3H3 for those http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100lg...list/B-07.html and http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100sf...list/D-04.html

The ones I found on a Danish website are 2H9-14738-00 and 2H9-14748-00 and, whilst they have the two holes at the top and one underneath, they definitely do not have the flare at the end......they are, apart from the holes, the same as the OEM ones on the 2H7 and 2H9 bikes. I would attach a photo but, since I bought the last pair they had on the site, the photo has now been removed! So, I'm hoping that they'll fit. Like you say though, shoes are way above the pipes anyway......
                      Last edited by James England; 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM.

Comment

But I don't remember when they came out...I was not born yet!
                        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Found the pix of the 2H9 heat shields. They're definitely not flared like the Special ones, eh?:

http://shop.bruun-larsen.dk/en/exhau...s1100-379.html

and

http://shop.bruun-larsen.dk/en/exhau...s1100-381.html
                          Last edited by James England; 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Found the pix of the 2H9 heat shields. They're definitely not flared like the Special ones, eh?:

http://shop.bruun-larsen.dk/en/exhau...s1100-379.html

and

http://shop.bruun-larsen.dk/en/exhau...s1100-381.html
                            That's a 'europe-only' part; the 2H9 version was never sold here. Here, that's a welded-on bit. I was looking at your beauty and noticing the myriad small 'detail differences' between yours and the US-spec bikes... the relocated rear turns, the decal lettering instead of the cheesy plastic emblems, relocated footpegs/shifter, finned clutch cover, two horns instead of one (these didn't show up here until '80), and missing reflectors at the headlight. So now we know the exhaust was slightly different too.

Makes you wonder why all the variations...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That's a very nice looking set of pipes. The rest of the bike is none too shabby either!!
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

That's a 'europe-only' part; the 2H9 version was never sold here. Here, that's a welded-on bit. I was looking at your beauty and noticing the myriad small 'detail differences' between yours and the US-spec bikes... the relocated rear turns, the decal lettering instead of the cheesy plastic emblems, relocated footpegs/shifter, finned clutch cover, two horns instead of one (these didn't show up here until '80), and missing reflectors at the headlight. So now we know the exhaust was slightly different too.

Makes you wonder why all the variations...
                                The European version was drastically different in styling. Black engine. Oil cooler. Simpler wiring. The seating position is more upright too. I think it's just a question of different taste. Whilst some people here like the laid-back US styling on some bikes, many people aren't keen on it. The Special versions don't sell for as much here, in general. I think Australia and New Zealand had the same look as here. People went nuts for the oblong headlamp etc and the styling received mostly praise and awe!

Comment

Working...
                                X