Lowering an XS 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering an XS 1100

Hi all, was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to lower my XS 1100. I am only 5'6" and can handle it with no problem, but would like just a little more leg control. Thanks:Rick
    1980 XS 1100 replaced the seat and sissy bar from a XS 1100 standard and changed the handle bars. Did not like the original bars at all.No mod at all except for a four into one header.

Hey Rick what's the yr and model. Put it in your signature so it will be there for everyone to see .
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Rick,

They are not all that hard to lower. Put on a set of handle bar risers and slide the front fork tubes up in the triple tree an inch or two. Install shorter shocks on the rear. They are available at Partsnmore, JC Whitney, and a few other places.

Keep in mind that lowering the bike will change the handling characteristics some and not all for the good. Then too you will start to scrape things in the corners as these bikes are a bit wide. The worst problem you will have with this project is that once the bike is lowered you will have to modify the kick stands to make it stand properly.
      The Old Tamer
      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Some people reshape and remove some seat foam to gain an inch or two.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I quit worrying about lowering mine. When i can afford another seat, or pan, i will lower the seat some. For now, i will just keep with one foot down at a stop. Being Height challenged is a problem with a lot of bikes. I tend to drag the foot pegs once in awhile, so i am sure that lowering it would spoil some fun.

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Signature

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
            Hey Rick what's the yr and model. Put it in your signature so it will be there for everyone to see .
            Not sure what you mean by putting it in your signature, but it is a 1980 XS 1100 Special
            1980 XS 1100 replaced the seat and sissy bar from a XS 1100 standard and changed the handle bars. Did not like the original bars at all.No mod at all except for a four into one header.

Comment

Originally posted by rickybeaver View Post
              Not sure what you mean by putting it in your signature, but it is a 1980 XS 1100 Special
              Go to User CP and you can edit your "signature" . There you can post your yr and model or anything else you would like to tell us about your bike. If you look at the bottom of someones post you can see their "signature"
              BDF Special
              80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
              Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Modify the seat. You'll likely regret making suspension mods in the rear to lower bike.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  Modify the seat. You'll likely regret making suspension mods in the rear to lower bike.
                  +1 on that. You can pick up almost two inches in the seat if you do it right. The trick is to don't cut the center foam too much, but to thin the outer edges for your thighs when your feet are down...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I am only 5'6"
                    Hey... leave out that word 'only' I've sold two XS1100 seats with cut down foam. They lower the height of the bike considerably and I saw another one on eBay the other day. One of my seats was about 4" lower, just by removing the foam. Plus, as others have mentioned, using shorter rear shocks and lowering the fork tubes. Yup, it'll affect the handling.... it might make it better!
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                      Hey... leave out that word 'only' I've sold two XS1100 seats with cut down foam. They lower the height of the bike considerably and I saw another one on eBay the other day. One of my seats was about 4" lower, just by removing the foam. Plus, as others have mentioned, using shorter rear shocks and lowering the fork tubes. Yup, it'll affect the handling.... it might make it better!
                      I hear ya brother, I am not that far off from touching comfortably and my seat is like new. So I think I will just leave it as is.

Comment

I hear ya brother, I am not that far off from touching comfortably and my seat is like new. So I think I will just leave it as is.
                        If you look at the original publicity shots for the XS1100, the person on the bike is not unduly tall. The bike looks massive and they look a lot smaller on it than I do when sitting on mine.

Thinking about it....most experienced bikers have only one foot down when they stop their bikes. I can get both feet on the ground but rarely do. I just have my right foot on the ground and lean the bike slightly to the right. So, you don;t really need excess height to do that, eh? And, at least you won't look a bit like a grasshopper when you sit on the bike (like I do....)!
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                        X