Any advice with paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice with paint job?

The P.O. had rattle canned everything with a clear coat on top. It did look good! I had to repaint the tank because......................
    Well I repainted the tank. Used the same stuff to match side covers,etc.
    It looked great till gas spilled on top of the tank. NEVER AGAIN!
    I'm starting out repainting the spare tank and side covers. I've about decided on black.
    I've been thinking on laqure.
    There is polyurethene or acrylic enamal with a hardner.
    I would still like a clear coat on top.
    So what are any suggestions????????????
    ACE

I have been sucessful with many bike paint jobs using automotive acrylic enamel w/ hardners. Laquer is an option but is alot more work, need mutiple coats and sanding between coats for a really good shine. The acrylics are alot more forgiving and can be wet sanded and polished out for a very good , durable shine. If you go with black, do all your prep work to perfection. Black will show any defect you may have left. To Date I have had none of these paint jobs damaged by spilled gas if done right.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

My experience is as follows:

A year ago, I got some nice quality rattle can primer, gloss black, and clear coat paint from ... Autozone or something like that. I prepped the tank, sanded it, primed it, then painted it black and clear coated it. I had a nice wet glossy look on it. Then the fan I was drying it with tipped over onto the tank .... So I did the whole thing again. Same results. When I put it on the bike and fueled the tank, the paint job lasted about 5 minutes.

So I had enough of that.

I did some research and found that I should have used urethane paint. It turns out that urethane paints have good chemical and gas resistance and are durable paints.

I decided to spend some money. My brother had a compressor so I bought a $15 dollar paint gun from Harbor Freight. Then I found House of Kolor online while searching for urethane paints.

I bought their primer, primer activator, gloss black and reducer, and clear coat and catalyst from them. Their is no comparison in quality between rattle cans and this paint I used ($130). You get what you pay for with paint. I just finished the tank last night. I'll send pics when everything dries and is installed. Water beads up an runs off of this paint even before waxing.

The clear coat is what its all about. A good clear coat will make a marginal paint job look good.

The better your sanding and prep the better the final look will be. If you follow the instructions things will turn out very good.

You could also try acrylic, but chemical resistance may not be so good. This paint is less expensive.

Ben
      Last edited by Shuriken; 10-13-2003, 10:25 AM.
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Paint

Color-rite http://www.color-rite.com/ has the best paint. Get a sprayer (rent one) and you will be so suprised at how this shines. I've had no luck with automotive brands compared to this one.
        I found it most easy to apply - compared to aerosol cans, and the topcoat comes with a tube of hardener.
        My cost to do 1 cycle was about $130.00 for professional paints. I found them at a local dealer (Targa Sportbike Products).
        Try black metalflake.
        [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

The good thing is I have a compressor and a good paint gun. Been years since I've done much painting.
          Sounds like polyurethene is the way to go.
          I'll be checking out the color-rite site and get more ideas.
          Thanks guys!
          ACE

Comment

I had my 81 special painted last year. It cost me $140.00 (Parts & Labor) for tank, side covers, and factory sport fairing. I had a friend at a body shop paint it for me after I done all the prep work. You might want to drop by a local body shop and talk directly to one of the painters (christmas is on the way, everyone needs some CASH!).
            My Bike looks a lot better now, it is Volkswagon Geeen (newer dark green) with three coats of Clear Coat. Now everyone ask what kind of Kawaski is THAT? ...LOL.
            Bill Woods
            1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
            1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
            2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Working...
            X