New/Ongoing XS1100 STD issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/Ongoing XS1100 STD issues

Ongoing: Old/shotty vetter fairing harness/pigtail/maybe just the connector.. (driving lights and radio work if the pigtail between the bike and the fairing is ziptied just right. Probably just need a new connector but the wires look old enough to be original..) I don't remember, but I think it was TC that said he had connectors/pins?

New: Bouncy rear shocks- all the oil drained out and I'd like to just replace the seals if I can get away with it.. I've read the threads about doing it and the chrome plating issue already, but I cant seem to find a parts list or anything for my shocks.. anyone know about Progressive Suspension's #12-1201B? I'm pretty sure that's the one, can email photos if anyone needs..

Thanks, all! You guys have been a huge help and a valuable resource for me, keep it up!
    '79 XS1100F
    '82 CB450SC -- For sale, runs great.

If you need the plug for the Vetter pigtail, you can get them from Vetter directly. I suggest getting the proper crimper tool from Geezer as well though, if you don't have one.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The factory shocks are non-rebuildable. Once they leak, you're done, they're toast. Those progressives you mentioned are very good shocks, be aware that the springs usually are sold seperately.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yeah, get some sort of good shocks. I chose to go with a set of XJ ones, some go with the progressive ones, some with others. Go with what fits into your budget and makes things work for you.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

a constant drip is definitely a sign

of a possible STD issue...

I just wanted to +1 on the Progressive shocks - I got a nice heavy duty set from TinMan a while back and it made a huge difference in the handling riding 2 up. The extra spring rate helps keep it from bottoming out and knocking my wife off the back (maybe that is why she keeps asking for a backrest).

Mine are 418-1004(C4-1455) Progressive 12" shocks they have a 230/270 spring rating.

John
          Last edited by jwhughes3; 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM. Reason: added model info.
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Sorry, I should've been more specific - the Progressive shocks are what's on there, not the stock ones. I couldn't find a part number on them, but they still have the company sticker and the 12 series is what their site says is the stock size for the bike.
            '79 XS1100F

Comment

Unfortunately, the Progressive shocks (at least the 12 series) aren't rebuildable. So if they're leaking or have leaked, they're done... you'll need new ones...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well at least I don't have to buy springs, too.. I've seen them for $180ish online, anyone know if I can get them cheaper other than ebay?
                '79 XS1100F

Comment

You should be able to find them on ebay. Look for the shocks ONLY, not for an "exact fit". So the search should look something like "12" rear motorcycle shocks". If they are new, they have the bushings needed for almost any bike included.
                  For the wires, Radio Shack carries a plug that will fit the Vetter fairing. It's a 9 pin AMP type connector, and is about 12.99 as a kit. I use marine wire for my bike, as the tinned copper, once crimped, seems to hold up to my riding in the rain.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Here's the link to the thread that put me on to the Showa shocks off a Honda Shadow 1100. On ebay for cheap, a straight bolt in on my 80 SG Special, and a great ride. I'm a heavier guy at 270# (but it's cause I'm 6'11" tall...) and even 2-up these things are great!

Just look on ebay, there are always some for sale.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=showa+shocks
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                    X